Chapter 44 - Plan

"Rep, can I borrow your sword?" Zalan asked.

Rep immediately handed over his sword, not a moment's hesitation.

"Any idea you have is much better than my lack of idea or ability. Take everything you need," Rep said earnestly, watching Hatewing's eyes for its next attack.

"Sky blue! Ice!" Gorb called, pulling Fran off their pile of gold and huddling behind it.

Zalan and Rep followed suit, Rep opening a small flame in his palm for them to share as the temperature dropped drastically throughout the room. The dragon had struck the pile of gold that Zalan was hiding behind previously, filling it with spikes of ice and ruining it for any further shelter. Zalan and Rep looked to one another in fear. The dragon might target them next.

"We should move!" Rep said, panicked.

"Right," Zalan agreed, immediately hopping over their pile and rushing to the next one closest to them.

They were about thirty feet from the dragon now. Zalan decided not to throw lighting at it and draw its attention, trying to keep a low profile before executing his plan. Fran had no such hesitations, throwing a series of five small fireballs from behind her pile of treasure on the other side of the arena-like room, about twenty feet from the dragon. Hatewing seemed to be annoyed by the attack, similar to how it reacted to Zalan's lightning attacks. But Zalan's attacks would leave tiny dark marks on the dragon's black hide where Fran's left no such evidence. The dragon was fully immune to flame. Hatewing was ignoring Fran's attacks where it had mild reactions to Zalan's.

"This does not seem to be working!" Fran said, a permanent smile on her face throughout the battle. "What is your plan?"

"Gorb, I need you to send me upward and into the dragon's face. I'll imbue these two swords with lightning and drive them into its eyes. I think the lightning will do a lot of damage. Once it's blind, we won't have to worry as much about the Elemental blasts and we can get the Homeseeker and get out of here!" Zalan explained quickly.

"Sounds good! I will draw its attention away from you!" Fran said.

"I am completely spent of my energy!" Gorb called back. "I cannot send you flying so far. You will have to get closer!"

Zalan peeked his head over the pile of treasure he was hiding behind, nervously analyzing the dragon as it stared into Fran's soul with bloodlust.

"How much closer?" Zalan asked, concerned.

"Get within five feet and I will send you up," Gorb said.

"So close?" Rep asked.

"He intends to jump into the dragon's face! He is not concerned about a distance like that!" Gorb replied.

"Riiight," Zalan said in a small voice, looking queasily at Rep.

"You do not have to do this," Rep said.

"Think of another way and I'll try it. Right now, getting its eyes is the best idea I've got," Zalan said, peering over the side just as Hatewing's eyes decided on the next attack.

"White eyes!" Fran said.

"Have we seen that before?" Rep asked, already losing track.

"No, just get down!" Fran called.

Hatewing breathed in deeply, held the breath for a tiny moment, then unleashed a hurricane of air into the room. Roaches, gold, treasures, and Artifacts flew all over the place. Zalan shielded his face with his arms and still felt something small strike against his forehead. Rep was hit with a golden statue of Docrun and pinned under it, but it did well to shelter him from the rest of the items flying through the air. The wind died down and Zalan stood up to assess the room. The next pile that he planned to run behind was reduced to a puddle of gold coins. He looked back to Rep and moved to help him out from under the statue.