Chapter 50 - Goodbyes

"Are you prepared to go home?" Rep asked Zalan.

"Yeah, I'm ready," Zalan said. "We came all this way, right?"

"You misunderstand. Are you fine to go home? Will you be fine once you return?" Rep asked.

Zalan could feel what Rep was getting at. Was he really ready to go home and face reality once more? It felt like months ago that he was being visited by his cousin, Ash. His apartment was a mess. His life was a mess. At the time, he pushed back against visiting his mother, but he saw there was some truth to it. He should visit her. It had already been too long, and there was no point in delaying further.

"I think I'm good to go home," Zalan answered.

"Perhaps we can discuss it in private?" Rep suggested.

Zalan noticed that Yelsa and Gorb looked incredibly confused by the conversation. At first he thought it wouldn't be an issue to confide in them as well, even if they were a little out of context. How bad would it be to tell them everything right before he left them behind in this world?

But he knew he would be a little more reserved when he was around Gorb and Yelsa. Rep was the first person he met in this world. And he had never felt looked down upon, judged, or even questioned by Rep. He could easily share all he needed to with this one friend.

"Sure, let's chat in private," Zalan said.

"Just a minute, if you do not mind," Rep told Yelsa and Gorb.

"You had better not use the Homeseeker without us," Yelsa said, trying to make the situation feel a bit lighter.

"I promise not to," Rep agreed, smiling.

Zalan and Rep stepped aside, making their way to stand behind one of the taller piles of gold. Zalan felt nervous and awkward, not sure exactly what they would be discussing, but feeling like it was necessary to go over this nonetheless. Rep stopped and regarded his friend with a small smile.

"How do you feel?" Rep asked.

"I'm feeling okay, I guess," Zalan answered honestly. "Not feeling the best after what happened to Fran."

"As would be expected," Rep nodded solemnly. "She will certainly be missed. And you feel comfortable going back home, even in the state you are in?"

"Do we really have an alternative?" Zalan asked, looking toward the frozen entrance to the room. The Fleshless King Docrun still occasionally beat against the door from the outside.

"Indeed we do," Rep said. "We could give the Homeseeker to Yelsa and Gorb and escape on our own. We know the way out, and we know what dangers face us. We could avoid Docrun by hiding until he comes in to inspect his treasure, then escape without his knowledge. We could race through the other Fleshless before they can think to attack. Use our knowledge of the Chaos Chamber in order to escape it in the same moment we enter it. Blast haphazardly at the Razortongues until we rush past them, then we are free to go home."

"You really thought this through," Zalan said, surprised.

"I was constantly thinking of how we could run away in case it was necessary," Rep explained without shame.

"Okay, but what do I gain by remaining behind?" Zalan asked.

"We would have more time to ensure that you are sound of mind and repaired before you are back in your world to face your own problems," Rep said.

Zalan found the word 'repaired' to be out of place, but understood the sentiment. He looked away from Rep in thought, not very enthused about having to stay behind for mental reasons.