Chapter 24 - Boznoks

The travelers emerged from the forest quickly, the lack of need for breakfast had them on their way immediately after waking up. Zalan was only now coming to terms with just how incredible an Artifact the Satiator was. There was so much time normally put into cooking and eating that they could now skip. He took a moment to consider himself grateful for it. Very grateful. He waited, but not even a hint of tears came to his eyes. Perhaps there was a trick to this crying thing that he wasn't aware of?

Gorb made certain to scan the horizon for any evidence of the Mind of Madness before continuing their way to the Castle of Docrun. When he indicated to everyone that the skies were clear, the rest of the travelers breathed in relief, the slight anxiety of the possibility of meeting the creature once more was reduced for now.

The forest cleared to a meadow of flowers with the path cutting through the center. The smells were fragrant and light, like a mix of honey and perfume. The meadows were almost a spectrum of colors and light as far as their eyes could see. That was, except for a small circle patch that had met the gaze of the Mind of Madness the day before.

"Why does it do that?" Zalan asked. He didn't have to indicate to the dead zone in the flower beds, everyone immediately knew what he was referring to.

"When we saw the creature pass by on our journey, I was told by Sir Rolcoth that the Mind of Madness desires madness. In its perverse way, it enjoys it. The monster wishes to see madness wherever it flies," Gorb said.

"You saw it when you were on your way to get the Elemental Power?" Zalan asked.

"On the way back home," Gorb nodded.

"What was that like? Did it get Rolcoth?" Zalan asked.

"Sir Rolcoth," Gorb corrected immediately. "It was a similarly distressing experience for me. Sir Rolcoth told us to hide without a second thought. He was Level Twelve! He could topple a tree or two with enough power of his wind. But even he did not want to be caught on the same path as the Mind of Madness. It changed how I saw strength."

"Is that it?" Yelsa pointed forward and the rest of the travelers tensed in terror, wondering how they were supposed to find a place to hide from the Mind of Madness in such an open space. But when they looked forward to see what Yelsa extended her arm at, they only saw the shape of a building on the horizon. They all turned to glare at her.

"What?" she shrunk a bit, then realized what was happening. "Oh, no, not the... I meant is that the castle?"

"Next time, clarify sooner," Fran warned, though there was a hint of amusement in her voice.

"The castle is past a town and across a river," Rep said, trying to make out the building. "We should see the river at the same time we see Docrun."

"On second thought, it looks to be a Boznok den," Yelsa drew her bow.

The others drew their weapons as well, Zalan fumbling for his sword.

"Boznoks?" Zalan asked. "Are they dangerous?"

"Indeed," Rep replied.

"They can be," Fran shrugged.

"Would the Mind of Madness have even left them alone?" Yelsa asked.

The group considered this carefully. The Mind of Madness had certainly come through this area, and if it had affected the Boznoks, then there was no concern of a battle.

"Can we go around them?" Zalan asked.

"There is no need," Fran said confidently. "With five travelers, we will handily be able to ward off any number of Boznoks. They are strong, but not at a distance. So long as they do not ambush us, we will have the advantage."