Chapter 49 - Dragon Hoard

Rep approached Zalan with the Homeseeker in hand. The golden cube with black corners, about the size of a brick. There was an extrusion in the center of the top of the cube, looking like an obvious button to push to activate it. On every other side of the cube was a rounded cut, about the size of a wedding ring, making the Homeseeker look as though it was intended to be a keychain to Zalan.

"I got it. Can we talk before we use it?" Rep asked Zalan, slightly nervous.

"Not yet, I need to look for Artifacts for Gorb. Last request, then I can leave," Zalan said, also a touch nervous at the prospect of traveling home.

"I see. Do you need any assistance?" Rep asked.

"Yeah, I have no idea what I'm looking at," Zalan picked up a rhombus-shaped piece of gold and inspected it. "Like, is this an Artifact?"

"Not that I know of," Rep shrugged.

"Hmm," Zalan threw it over his shoulder and Rep flinched as it landed.

"Maybe we should not throw the things that we are unfamiliar with?" he suggested anxiously.

Zalan nodded in agreement.

They made their way across the room, Zalan and Rep lining their pockets with gold as they went from pile to pile in search of anything interesting. They passed by Yelsa who was inspecting a goblet with mild interest.

"I remember seeing a green-looking ring when we walked in, but I have no idea where it is," Zalan said, brushing aside gold coins.

"That may be a Ring of Range. A very powerful Artifact for extending one's Elemental Power's distance. But I suspect it was lost in the battle. Whether buried under ice or just out of place in a way that would take us far too long to locate," Rep said.

"What's the hurry? We could find him some really cool Artifacts," Zalan suggested.

"It is important for us not to delay Fran's burial," Rep said solemnly.

"Right," Zalan immediately agreed.

Zalan dug through some more gold, feeling strange that he was casting aside literal fortunes to look for Artifacts in between. Any one of these small piles of gold would be enough to last someone an entire lifetime and he was throwing it all away, save for the few handfuls he had in his pockets for Gorb's sake.

"What about that?" Zalan pointed to something interesting-looking in the next pile, not wanting to touch it this time. It was a curved silver stick. About as long as a sword, but way too curved to be a regular melee weapon. Rep looked over at it and raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"Yelsa," Rep mentioned. "I think that's a Brightburst Bow."

"What? Where?" Yelsa's head snapped toward him eagerly. She rushed over to the gold pile and held up the silver stick. "Can it be? I thought they were just legends!"

"What's special about the bow?" Zalan asked. It was missing a bowstring.

Yelsa held it out in front of her and pulled at the air where the string should be tied. Miraculously, a string of light appeared, being pulled by her finger. When she pulled the string back, a tiny arrow made of light appeared. She fired it and the arrow traveled forward a few feet, then disappeared.

"It is! Incredible!" Yelsa looked astounded at the Brightburst Bow. The bowstring faded away into nothing a moment later.

"Wow, so infinite arrows?" Zalan said, impressed. "But it doesn't seem the arrows go very far."

"No! Well, yes. The bow relies upon the light that is being cast upon it for its strength. Here, watch. Rep, can you cast a flame for me?" Yelsa asked.