Chapter 18 - Getting Bitten

Zalan gripped his sword tightly, his arms shaking as the Giant Gargoyle sized up the three fighters. Fran's sword was bright with flames and attracted the most attention. Zalan had given up trying to imbue his sword with electricity and instead tried to look at both the Giant Gargoyle and the dozen Sickly Gargoyles at its feet, panicking as he lost track of the smaller things preparing for an assault.

"Zalan, we will need you to take on the Sickly Gargoyles," Gorb announced.

"Why me? I barely managed two!" Zalan screamed.

"The two of us will attempt to handle the Giant Gargoyle," Gorb added.

"Attempt to!?" Zalan shouted in fear.

"We have not faced one before," Gorb said.

"This will be an incredible fight!" Fran said, excited. "Stay sharp Zalan, we do not want you to get hurt."

"What if you use—"

The Giant Gargoyle roared, bringing down a giant fist to smash Fran. Gorb threw himself forward, a powerful blast of air emitting from his arms and nudging the Giant Gargoyles arm to one side enough for Fran to dive out of the way, millimeters from being crushed.. She ran up and hopped between Sickly Gargoyles and delivered a flaming slice to the Giant Gargoyle's leg. It barely registered a scratch in its earthen hide.

"It is tough!" Fran laughed.

The Sickly Gargoyles split up and ran at each of the three travelers in groups of four. Anytime one reached Fran, she kicked it in Zalan's direction haphazardly, keeping her focus on avoiding the Giant Gargoyle's ponderous steps as it attempted to flatten her. Gorb threw a burst of air at the Sickly Gargoyles running toward him, bowling them all toward Zalan. Zalan was surrounded.

"Help!" Zalan screamed instinctively, but his rational mind knew he would receive none.

He put up a hand and released a burst of lightning, striking the Sickly Gargoyle nearest to him. It still held close to the pack. Zalan was afraid that if he tried to strike the creature while it was vulnerable, then another would have an opportunity to bite him. The other Sickly Gargoyles approached cautiously, none wanting to be on the receiving end of his lightning. He pointed his sword at them with his other hand, trying to send lightning out of it.

He couldn't do it, and only continued to throw shocks of lightning at them from his free hand. The Sickly Gargoyles soon caught on that he couldn't attack all of them at once. They began to circle in on him until Zalan's back was up against the large rocks that the Giant Gargoyle threw at the beginning of the encounter. The earth rumbled menacingly as the Giant Gargoyle stomped around Fran. She continued to cut away at the Giant Gargoyle's feet as Gorb redirected its blows. The Sickly Gargoyles were too close now, their mouths frothing with green ick.

"Fine!" Zalan said, frustrated.

Zalan screamed loudly to psyche himself up and threw a bolt of lightning while running forward. The creatures looked baffled at Zalan's abrupt charge toward them. He got close enough and swung his sword with focus, cutting a Sickly Gargoyle's head clean off. The other creatures were still distracted and disturbed by Zalan's prolonged screaming, and he was able to zap and cut down another creature. He gained confidence in himself and burst another shock out of his palm, delighted at his strength in battle. He wondered if Gorb would see him differently now.

Then he was bitten on the leg.

Zalan screeched in pain and fell away from the Sickly Gargoyles. He kicked the Sickly Gargoyle that was on his leg away into the others and was able to struggle to a kneeling stance. He put all his weight on the uninjured leg, knowing that falling would mean death by a dozen excruciating bites. He instinctively let out a stream of lightning, like a firehose of power at his fingertips, striking all the Sickly Gargoyles and stunning them in place. The act was sapping massive amounts of energy, all so he might stumble away from the Sickly Gargoyles. His leg felt as though it was on fire, the burning sensation searing painfully into his flesh and showing no signs of letting up. He took a glance at his foot when he had a few feet of distance between him and the Sickly Gargoyles and saw green pus surrounding the wound. Their bite was charged with acid or poison. He gagged.