Chapter 12

After  the whole celebration with the public, they now decided to have dinner just for the family along with Julius and his son and Alaric and three more knight guards surrounding each corner. Caspain and Rhaenyra sat next to each other with Julius and Ector on each side. 

"Another repeating toast, gods I hope not." Caspain leaned in to whisper at the princess who responded with a stifled laugh. Both giggled quietly, preventing to attract the attention on them but little does the princess know is that her loyal knight was already eyeing the both of them from the corner, standing firmly to keep his guard. His nose seems to flare at the sight of the two, to his displeasure, he saw the princess lean into Caspain to tell him something, "You do know you're talking to a princess, right? About her father and her step-mother's boring toasts." She playfully intended to put the threat in her tone, but the blonde locks man understood Rhaenyra's intention so he took it lightly by looking down to prevent himself from grinning. 

"So you finally accepted the truth then? You finally acknowledged the queen as your step mother." He smiled. Rhaenyra's cheeky grin faltered slowly, she maintained a small smile on her lips. The boy noticed this reaction and he too slowly removed his grin. "I'm.. sorry, princess. Forgive me."

"No, no. It's- It's alright, Caspain." She paused, "Maybe I am starting to acknowledge and accept it." She forced a smile that Caspain gave back. They all turned their heads when the king stood up with his cup on his hand.

"Oh, here we go." He whispered once again to the princess who chuckled at his remark. They focused on the king who's about to say something. "My dear people, today I have remarried. Alicent is to be called the queen now and with that she deserves the same respect you give to me. I trust my hand and each and every person here dining tonight with us." He glanced at his daughter hesitantly. "Rhaenyra, I trust you with Alicent and as do I to her. I pray to the seven gods of you two coming to agree with each other and to develop the bond only appropriate for a mother and...daughter." Alicent glanced at her step daughter. 

"Not squabbling, not pointing fingers at each other, but to act with tenderness and care just like how you were with your mother, Esther." Rhaenyra shook her head that made her look down with her eyebrows raised in disbelief. "You should get along well. Help each other out. We are now as one here, Rhaenyra,we represent our house. We are the Targaryens, and it would be terrible to not get on the same page.." He paused and stared at his daughter for a moment before speaking once again, "Because the only thing that can tear down the house of the dragon... was itself." A moment of silence was endured by each and every one dining at the table with the king.

Rhaenyra kept her gaze on her hands placed on top of her lap while Alicent gave the silver haired girl another look. She watches the princess not give a reaction nor any attention to the king's speech to her. Not wanting to embarrass Viserys, she spoke "That's wonderful, husband. Your expectations will not be dismayed." She caressed the king's arm from her seat, looking up at him. "Rhaenyra and I will get along well." She glanced back to the princess who lifted up her head to meet Alicent's glaze on her. Alicent must have noticed the princess' unexpected reaction because Rhaenyra swore she saw a glimpse of Alicent's side lip tug upwards. 

When Rhaenyra realized that they were expecting an answer from her by the way her father looked at her as if awaiting something, she forced a small smile and nod, "Yes.. your grace." King Viserys hesitantly nod and sat back down before inviting them all to feast. During dinner, Alicent and the King had spoken about the Hightower's family visit for tomorrow, Rhaenyra could care any less so she just decided to sit there and eat beside Caspain and her uncle, putting her on the middle. The king responded that Alicent's relatives will be able to stay a few nights in the castle if it pleases her and boy, for Rhaenyra, she knew it does pleases the Hightower and her father.