Chapter 23

After that long torment dinner with the queen Alicent, Rhaenyra has decided to retire from the table at once. She left the queen startled by her sudden move of standing up while Alicent continues to eat but she did not protest. She let the Targaryen princess leave her and head to the other room inside the medium sized ship. 

The princess has decided to come inside the room to where she will be sleeping. She passed by the rooms for the men altogether but saw nobody inside nor heard any; so she suspected that Caspain and the sailors are by around the ship, guarding and watching. 

The princess sighed and slumped herself on the most uncomfortable cushion she's ever been on. The pillow lacks the filling inside, making it feel like her head will be laying on nothing but a flat cloth. The fillings are feathers instead of cottons that she used to have back in the castle, and the feathers are insufficient. 

Rhaenyra decided it would be best for her to remove her dress and leave her on her chemise. A much more comfortable wear to sleep on. The princess turned her back from the door and faced the bed, she started stripping alas, she did her own favors of loosening the ties on her dress. She shivered at the cold air that rushed through her when her back was exposed, the chemise is thin, leaving her hairs on her skin stand up. 

When Rhaenyra was halfway removing the dress- she heard a small gasp behind her. She quickly turned around to see the queen with a low surprise expression on her face. Her hand on her chest and the other on the surface of the entrance. 

"Forgive me- you have.. you have startled me." The queen spoke softly, "I thought this was supposed to be a room of mine." 

Rhaenyra's lips parted lightly before looking back to her front and continued removing her dress, pushing it off her arms, "No worries, your grace, but I have already claimed this one to be my sleep hold." The princess replied with a sarcasm. Her dress fell down finally. She bent down and took it by her hands.

Alicent blinked a few times then looked away from the princess' back, "Indeed. I shall take my leave then," the ginger replied back hesitantly. She wiped her sweaty palms on her dress and anxiously took a step back and slowly continued her way to the dark small way. 

Rhaenyra finally turned around and let her dress hang on her arm. She took a glance of the doorless entrance and placed her wardrobe on the end of the bed. She stood before it before sitting on the cushion and arranged the two pillows when suddenly, a shadow of a person reflected on the white bed. She looked towards the entrance to see Alicent blocking the torch sticking on the door behind her. 

The queen nervously fidgets on her fingers as she stares deeply into Rhaenyra with an anxious look on her face, "They have no more rooms. This was supposed to be ours."

Rhaenyra's lips parted in disbelief, she let out a huff in realization, "Of course. This ship is too medium for many rooms." The princess muttered on her breath. She shook her head before looking into the the queen's face she barely see because of the lack of light- but one thing she sure knows is that the queen is uncomfortable. She seems to be troubled by the way she was standing on the door step just three steps away from her.

The princess eventually nodded and clenched her jaw before forcing herself to spit her words, "It would be my honor to offer the bed, your grace."

Alicent slowly nodded before making her way inside and to the edge of the bed. She turned around normally and called out to the princess softly, "Rhaenyra," 

The princess watched her back, "Yes, my queen?"

"Help me remove my dress." The queen replied. Rhaenyra's lips ran dry. As much as she didn't want to but it is the queen's order, and this is probably why her father commanded her to accompany his wife. This was his order in the first place anyway- to act as like the queen's lady-in-waiting. Alicent looked behind over to her shoulder when the princess took long to respond.