Chapter 25

"How do you answer these charges?" Alicent paused,

"-Lord Halton." She tore her eyes away from Arelys and averted it to the man whose worried expression turned into a scowl. Arleys' heart dropped dead right there and then, he whipped his head to Halton whose eyes never left the queen's.

"I did not commit such crimes, your grace, this is absurd! I am your loyalest man in here and a faithful and humble servant and member of this court!"

"Oh, but you wished you really were, didn't you? Even before I came here I have already known. Lying will only add to your penalty. But that wouldn't really do anything as well." Halton trembled upon his seat, shaking his head aggressively.

"Because your crime is already punishable by death. 'Any man from this court to commit a crime or treason shall pay with their lives for they themselves know the law of truth and are higher than the civilian people of this city.' That is what was written for over a hundred years, wasn't it?" Alicent finished.

Halton jumped out of his seat, everybody watching him in surprise. "No. No, no- no!" He yelled, raising his index finger.

"I am sorry, Lord Halton. But I cannot celebrate my welcoming festive here as the new queen of king's landing knowing that there is a man roaming around in triumph and temptation of looting the money that aren't his." They stared into each other's eyes before the queen sighed and broke the eye contact. "Take him away." She ordered.

The knights in each corner of the room moved at once and approached Halton who's fighting to get out of their grip. 

"And take Lord Arleys too- he's been known for helping this fool." Alicent stood up. Arleys, too, suddenly stood up from his seat, "Your grace!" One of the knights approached him and gripped his arm, pulling him. "Your grace! Please! Mercy I beg of you- I did not steal nor commit to treason!"

"But you gave him access to the treasured chambers knowing what of his plans. That is held to be as treason." Alicent walked past her chair, "Thank you all for your time- this meeting is adjourned." She dismissed. 

"No!" Halton yelled while both him and Arleys are being dragged outside the room

Rhaenyra followed the queen's steps quietly. As they walk through the halls with two knights behind them, they were silent until the queen decided to speak out, "The people who will be celebrating with us tonight aren't only from this city but also from other houses. You shall be sitting beside me." Alicent glanced Rhaenyra as they walk. The princess didn't mutter anything. Alicent sighed, "I suppose you don't have any objections since you have nothing to say..." 

"How did you know?" Rhaenyra suddenly asked, catching the queen's attention as they walk

"What?"

"How did you know?" She repeated, keeping her eyes on the way.

Alicent took a moment to give her answer, "My father has been receiving letters from an anonymous person. I believe they're just from this court or have been living here under the roof."