Chapter 42

By the next day, Alaric currently escorts the princess Rhaenyra to the throne hall after getting dressed and ready by her ladies in her chambers. The princess' eyes widened in shock at the sight of many men in line to ask her hand for marriage. Her eyes wandered to each men she passes at the entrance as she makes her way to her seat beside the iron throne. Many men. Old men, young men, good looking men, wench looking men, and.. is that a boy?

Her face at present tells that she is clearly taken aback and quite overwhelmed by the suitors that have arrived for her. Her eyebrows furrowed as soon as she saw her father's absence to the iron throne. 

"Where's the king?" She leaned beside Alaric in a hushed tone, her knightguard whispered back, "Currently at the small council chambers, princess. With the small councils and the queen." 

She finally sat down with her red dress that exposes her bare soft shoulders. "Shall we begin?" She forced a smile

The man beside the princess stood up and nodded before stepping forward in between the distance of the Targaryen, and the lined up suitors in order to be seen clearer by the audiences inside the room.

"Good morrow to everyone— princess—" He curtsied to Rhaenyra before turning to the suitors, "And to our honorable men." He smiled to them, "As we all know, you are all here to be picked by the princess Rhaenyra of house Targaryen to be her loyal, cunning, and brave husband of hers. So, without further ado, let us begin." He walked back to the chair just beside the princess, to take a seat, and help and advise her on her picking.

An old man from the first line took a step and bowed his head to the princess. Rhaenyra cringed in silence as she saw that this man seems to be older than he looks. Hair untouched, and beard... uncleaned.

"Princess— I am Lord Beric Dondarrion, I have traveled from Storm's end all the way here to ask your hand for marriage. Must I let you know, though my seat may be lesser in size, it is situated most pleasingly." He paused for a moment, confusing everybody in the room. Lord Beric then walked to the stand placed on the side to grab a cup of water while clearing his throat. Rhaenyra and Alaric eyed each other before the princess had to sigh and look at her golden rings around her fingers.

What an impression for starters

Beric came back to the middle before speaking again, "The view across the marches is inspiring, so said Queen Alysanne herself, when she honored my father and I–"

"And tell me, Lord Dondarrion, did you think my great-grandmother as beautiful as they say?" Rhaenyra asked with a fake small smile playing on her lips.

Beric squinted his eyes, unsure of the answer, "This.. was half a century ago, princess." 

Rhaenyra nodded her head in satire before responding with a hint of sarcasm in her voice, "Yes it was." She leaned on her chair. Audiences and the other men in line had erupted a laugh, causing Lord Beric to inhale sharply in embarrassment.

"That was unseemly, princess." The man sitting on a chair spoke beside her

Rhaenyra gritted her teeth, "The man is older than my father. It's unseemly for him to put himself forward as a contender for my hand."

He didn't argue and faced back to his front, "Next!" Then comes another man to step forward. 

Rhaenyra's eyes widened and her lips fell to the floor when she saw that what was called a man was actually just a boy. Skinny, small compared to the size of the rest of the men in line. Rhaenyra didn't know what to feel at the sight, she was caught off guard to see a boy standing before her, about to ask for her hand in marriage. She shook her head while eyeing the boy,