Chapter 35

The weather had been a sunny day at the Red keep and Rhaenyra is currently sitting on a bench at the gardens, staring into nothing with deep thoughts in her mind, making her unaware of her surrounding. A man shyly approached her from behind before slowly making his way beside the princess, awkwardly standing.

"May I interrupt you for a moment, princess?" He spoke to make his presence known. Rhaenyra was taken aback by the sudden voice beside her. She looked up at the presence before smiling.

"Jafar."

The boy slowly sat down beside her. Glancing at her for a short moment before speaking again, "What are you doing alone in the gardens, my princess?"

Rhaenyra shrugged, "A perfect weather to get some fresh air and be surrounded by greens and flowers." She looked around with the Hightower.

He chuckled shyly before once again, trying to keep a casual conversation with the targaryen but his nervousness failed him. Rhaenyra said, "How are you liking the Red keep so far?" He sheepishly answered at the embarrassment of not being able to start a conversation with her, "I like it very much here, princess. It's better too. Ser Alaric had given me a few pointers about combat- he's been training me ever since you and the queen went back to Oldtown."

Rhaenyra smiled in his response, "So I heard that you were devastated that you weren't able to come with us at the Oldtown-" she saw his cheeks flush red before he avoids the eye contact. She and he knew that the boy had been meaning to spend some alone time with her. "Dorcas said that it's because you have been missing a few lessons with your mentor, Ser Fredrick, isn't it?"

Jafar nodded before clearing his throat, "Yes, princess. I was taught to use a sword but I'm afraid I lack the experience and training. I'm not that good yet." he shyly answered.

"Well, you can always approach Alaric. I'm sure he'd be happy to train you." She replied to him.

"I agree, training with him has been nothing but fun– although he could get very aggressive when he means seriousness," the boy replied. Rhaenyra raised her brows with a playful amused smile, "Really now?"

Jafar's heart leaped out from his chest at the targaryen's beauty that she holds. Her purple orbs makes him feel that his thoughts are exposed. He quickly looked away, having his throat choke on an invisible air, unable to speak.

"Jafar, may I ask?" She asked him

"Anything, princess. You shall not ask me for my permission." He raised his eyebrows in eagerness. Rhaenyra smiled at him in appreciation before opening her mouth.

Rhaenyra adores him in a way like a friend for his devotion to her, though she felt bad to never reciprocate any of the men's feelings for her. She propped herself on her seat properly before opening her mouth but then she closes it again. She was hesitant to let it out but has decided to speak and to go for it anyway, "Do you happen to know what the queen's most favorable dish is?"

"I'm certain, Viserys. It's what expected of me to do anyways, it made me wonder why since I have arrived here is that we've been trying to ignore that fact,"

The king sighed, it was his first time to hear Alicent use his name rather than his title and 'husband'– he guesses she too is stressing about the current situation. He nodded his head before turning around to face the queen, "So shall be it." He approached Alicent to where she's standing. "I will have a word with Rhaenyra once ready."