Chapter 39

Rhaenyra and her father casually stood at the cellar of the red keep in front of the great skull of a dragon, Balerion. Viserys lit a few candles placed in front of him before slowly approaching his daughter.

"Alicent had told me about Amber's friend named Lurther Lagent.. She said that his son asks for your hand in marriage," Viserys smiled at his daughter who did not return the pleasure. His smile slowly fades before attempting to speak with her again,

"You know, when your mother, Esther– she was married to me when she was ten and four. Politically but then uh," he paused with a smile, trying to reminisce his memories with the late queen. "She and I grew in love during our time spent together. I began to admire her and her intellectual activities or her customs in life. I was sixteen during those times and she would read me a book as our time quality,"

"I already know the story, mother had told me about it many times. She was swooning and smiling, telling me how great her first love was and that she was glad she wasn't married to some dull old man.. poor woman, didn't know that her ending would be death and having her first love to go marry someone else." The princess said plainly while looking at the candles.

Viserys didn't know how to react. He knew there was some toxicity in the princess' voice, a venom, meaning that his daughter is in her foul mood. He collected himself, "What I just intend to say is-"

"Is that you are to wed me to someone else." She finished by going straight to the point as she observes Balerion despite seeing it many times before.

Viserys sighed, "You're at the right age, Rhaenyra. You must."

"I must or is it because you simply want to replace me?" She tore her eyes away from the dragon's skull to her father's purple eyes. Her face hardens as she stares deeply into Viserys' orbs. The shock from his face was evident that he didn't quite expect those words from his daughter, Rhaenyra then faced her body towards the speechless king.

"I think it's amusing that this is where you first declared of me to be your heir before the official announcement, but then this is where you'll also unheir me." The princess said in irony.

"Rhaenyra,"

"You named me heir- to the throne. At first, it was supposed to be Daemon, my uncle, but then you threw it on me." She paused, trying to collect herself, "And now you mean to replace me?" her voice croaked slightly. Her father watched her in worry and deep concern but she thought it was absurd.

"You have given me false hope." She added

"I did not. You were announced to be my heir in front of my people, I made that happen. You knew and saw with your own eyes that I did not jest, nor stutter, I did not kid around to name you after the iron throne just to unheir you." He argued

"Then now, what is this?"

"Rhaenyra, even if I want to take it back, I cannot. I have already settled it with the small council, what would they think if I withdraw from it?" he took a step closer to her

"You are the king, father. You have the power, you have the privilege, what's left of them is to respect you if you must withdraw," She frowned as she argues

"A king does not take his words back. What would I be called? The small council matters, I trust them."

"Trust them more than your own judgement?" She raised a brow, then she scoffed, "I see. Are you going blind due to old age or is it because you sincerely cannot make your decisions yourself without guidance from others?"