Chapter 16

Terrible.

The dinner was terrible. The non-stop spats between the king's hand and Daemon continued with barely a pause. Sure it wasn't as heated as expected since thank the seven gods Daemon was not in his nasty mood tonight. He played it safe by only snorting remarks and then Julius would reply to it about how Daemon could barely handle a realm. Though it may not be as heated as it seems but it was almost getting there, good thing the old gods worked on its humble magic to suddenly shut the two men because their talk-backs are not unnoticed by everyone and that is obviously making them feel very uncomfortable, the silence from the two had let the chatters of the Hightowers to take over the table and the dinner. 

"I would most certainly agree, I would invite you to my chambers but my home is nothing compared to the princess'. I do not live in a castle, my lady." Dorcas smiled at the woman beside her. Her smile only grew more as they continued to chat with the Hightower while Rhaenyra on the other hand decides to eat in silence and just listens to his father talk.

"I do not mind at all, Lady Dorcas." Gwenyth swayed her hand in a dismissed manner

"Maybe we can do needle work on princess Rhaenyra's free time. We should invite her in, she'll join us, will you, princess?" Dorcas swiftly turned to her side with an excited smile on her lips. Rhaenyra was caught off guard at Dorcas but she returned the smile at her friend. She only nodded. 

Dorcas squealed and looked back to her newly friend Gwenyth, "She said yes, lady Gwenyth. The princess would be spending her free time with us." 

Gwenyth was a bit hesitant and shy so she asked, "Is it alright with the princess?" 

Dorcas nodded happily, "Of course! Don't worry now, princess Rhaenyra is kind." With this, Gwenyth broke into a comfortable smile and looked back beside her brother to stick out her tongue to tease him for getting to spend some time with the princess-who-was-promised. Jafar only glared at her and continued eating his food on his plate.

Back to the elders discussing a matter across the table in front of Rhaenyra, she continued to listen. "What about the tourney, your majesty?" Otto asked beside him.

The king tilted his head and squinted his eyes. He hummed, "I almost forgot. The tournament should be held in two days. I believe the participants are all ready?" He glanced at Julius.

The man nodded, "Yes, your majesty. All are settled. I have spoken to the other councils and they have said that the Lannisters and Bohemond will be joining us for the tournament." Viserys nodded in satisfaction. 

"And the Hightowers, dear husband?" Alicent asked beside him. King Viserys glanced once again to his hand, "Julius?"

Knowing what the king meant, he nodded, "Yes, your grace. The Hightower representatives will be arriving tomorrow. As well as the representatives of the house Bohemond, Velaryon and Lannister." Alicent gave him a nod with a smile in gratitude.

"Good. Tyland along with his twin Jason Lannister will be here on the day of the tournament. Along with Corlys Velaryon and Ector." The king added. 

"Of course, I, will represent the house Targaryen, surely." Daemon spoke too proudly before drinking from his goblet. Rhaenyra frowned at this and decided to speak causing all heads to turn to her since she rarely talks during dinner, "But Alaric will be representing us."

Daemon glanced at the princess. He swallowed his wine before placing down his cup, "Oh, who is he? your lover?" He smirked at Rhaenyra who only shot him with dagger glares. "Princess, there is a limit of five in each house for this tournament. Your father has decided to mix all the tourney kinds this time, I wonder what has gotten into his mind. The heir's tournament, the hand's tournament to which Ser Julius will participate and then the rest of it is from the knighthood. There, your sweet Alaric belongs." He pointed towards the black haired boy who's been guarding at the corner the whole time. He clenched his jaw at Daemon since he never really liked Rhaenyra's uncle. Rhaenyra scowled at her uncle for his arrogant tone.