26

-The Moon is beautiful tonight.- Nayeon stated.

-Never as much as you.

-Stop it!- Nayeon exclaimed embarrassed.

-Only if you stop being so beautiful.

-So... What did you usually do with your ex?

-When we went out? Classic human things... We had dinner together, we walked, we had ice cream... What kind of dates do you vampires have?

-Well... We fly together, we eat different things from you humans together...

-I'd like to fly.

-Maybe one of these days I'll let you try it.

-Should we to sit on that bench?

-Yes, let's go.

The two sat on a bench in the middle of the sidewalk and looked ahead at the road along which the cars were speeding by.

-I'm faster.- Nayeon stated.

-Do you have some sort of flight license or something?

-You mean like a driving license? At first no, then they forced us to take an exam.

-Wah! It's all so cool in your world.

-You have licenses too.

-But you have them to fly!

-Jeongyeon... Can I ask you a question?- she asked, placing her hand on the girl's.

Jeongyeon looked at their hands and then at the girl illuminated by the moonlight. -Sure, tell me.

-What type of relationship did you have with your exes? Because... Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you're afraid that I might leave you.

Jeongyeon looked down again. -It's complicated.

-Don't worry, talk to me about it whenever you want.

-I can only tell you that I suffered the abandonment of my parents who spent more time at work and traveling than with me. They entrusted me to a babysitter, but I don't remember anything about her. I only know that she existed. My psychologist says that probably the abandonment of this babysitter must have affected me so much that it erased my memories of her. It's rare but it can happen.

Nayeon felt terribly guilty at that moment. She had contributed to making insecure Jeongyeon, the girl she wanted to protect as a child and now even more so she would have protected with all of herself.

-I am sorry.

-No, it's not your fault.- If only she knew... -And then... My first girlfriend cheated on me and the third... You already know how it ended. I don't feel like going into details now.

-And you don't have to, don't worry.

-You? Have you also suffered some abandonment?

-You know... Every time one of my husbands died I felt bad and I was afraid of losing the next one too and this always happened. And during the Hundred Years' War I was exiled over the Joan of Arc issue. Two of my friends abandoned me because of this and one stole my boyfriend. Vampires are known to be passionate and jealous beings, but some are also known to be great unfaithful people.

-We both need time to close the wounds.

-But let's stop talking about it now. Tell me something else about yourself. Have you had two girlfriends?

-No, three. But I didn't love the second one and she didn't love me, so we broke up. But my first girlfriend wasn't my first love. I remember having feelings for that babysitter. It's strange... All I have left of her is the memory of my feelings for her. Then the last girl I dated, the one who told me I was boring. You know, maybe she helped frightening me.- She laughed. -Why do I have to be so stupid? Just because a woman told me I'm boring should I resign myself?

-You're not boring. I like you both ways. I like the playgirl Jeongyeon and the sweet and innocent one. Ultimately I fell in love with the latter.

-Really? But with you I acted like a playgirl most of the time.

Yes, but Nayeon was referring to nine years ago.

-Yet I fell in love with that side of you that you showed little. See how interesting you are, Jeongyeon?

The girl smiled. -What can you tell me about yourself? I know you've had lots and lots of exes. Do you have any particular stories from your life?

-Mh... I served at the court of Henry IV. He fell in love with me but I let him go on Mina's advice. If I hadn't done it he would have had me beheaded like Anne Boleyn, I owed Mina a big favor, but she owes me many more. Not that I would die, but I would have my head all sewn up for life. Frankstein's creature would have been cuter compared to me.

Jeongyeon chuckled. -Wow... Henry IV. You were going to have a king, how did you end up having me? A common human without employment. You yourself said that you only had rich and important exes.

-Forget about it. You are as good as the doctor, the entrepreneur and the king. If I said it, it's because I've always been careful about this with men, but with you... You're different Jeongyeon.

-I've noticed that I'm different. I can't even afford a pack of sweets.- she said laughing.

She laughed to hide the pain, she had been doing it for years now.

-Don't think you're not enough just for stupid people from your past. You are perfect for me. You are different because... I can't even explain it! You're the only woman who's ever made me feel anything.

-In such a short time? Are you sure it's love and not a need for affection?

-I could ask you the same question.

-I never said it was love but that it was the beginning of falling in love.

-It's the same thing.

-More or less. But don't change the subject. How can you say that yours is love?

-I can't tell you why but I'm sure I love you. It has never happened to me that I couldn't stop thinking about a person.- For nine years she should have added.

-Only time will tell if it is true love.

-But now let's get back to talking about you. How long have you known Jennie?

-For a year more or less. She was desperate for a babysitter and I was desperate for a job. You know... Her husband had recently died and she was so sad and lonely. Eventually we became friends and I tried to cheer her up.

-You're good at it. To cheer up people's mood. You can even do it with me. So you're just friends?

Jeongyeon smiled with satisfaction because she understood that Nayeon was jealous. -Just friends.

-And you've never felt anything for her? Not even a little bit of attraction?

-She is beautiful, sure, but never as beautiful as you. It's one thing to think that a girl is beautiful, it's another to think that you want to spend all eternity with her.- She then kissed her hand, looking straight into her eyes.

-But she likes you.

Jeongyeon shrugged. -But I like you.