Chapter 5 Raid

*image from Danbooru, Artist: Murasakigezi           Gunshots echo through the woods

Gunshots echo through the woods. Sam scurries back to the cabin in a hurry. I sit up as the door bursts open.

      "Morado, the syndicate have come for us," Sam yells.

      I load the pistol he gave me. Moon and the others scurry out of the few comfy beds I made for them. I hope they aren't destroyed in this raid.

      Men with guns approach my cabin. I hide behind a tree readying Moon's sphere as they approach. They raise their guns and I toss her sphere. She appears before them. Some of them meet her gaze.

     I try not to think about it as they turn on their fellow soldiers. By the time Moon notices I'm upset the ground is littered with bullet riddled corpses.

     "Luna-ris," she says patting my head.

     "Moon, can I talk to you alone," I say looking up at her.

     "Moon?" She says curiously.

     I pull Moon into the cabin and lock everyone out. This isn't something I want everyone to see. I trust Moon, so I can be honest with her. 

     I pace back and forth by the door for a moment. Moon's sitting on the edge of the bed kicking her feet as I approach. That familiar feeling like I know her creeps up on me. I lean in embracing Moon with my arms as I cry on her shoulder.

     "I don't want to do it, I don't want to kill people, I don't want to hurt Pals, why is it like this here?" I ask.

     "Moon," she says rubbing my back trying to calm me.

     The wall behind the bed explodes. A rocket, but why?

*Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang*

      Moon falls against me and I feel something warm soaking into my shirt. Blood. I draw my pistol without a thought. I didn't want to kill anyone a moment ago, but now. My finger itches to pull the trigger.

*Bang, Bang, Bang*

     Three men drop to the ground. I'm breathing heavy as I push Moon off of me. I lean over her checking her wounds. My fists tighten just like my chest as I try to hold off my nausea. It never comes though. My desire to protect Moon has overcome my fear of killing. It's not like with the merchant. These men aren't innocent. They deserve to die. I worry what will become of me now that I'm on the path of violence.

     "Luna, Luna, Luna," Moon yells holding her side.

     I run around the cabin looking for something to bandage her wound. Sam approaches me.

     "We took care of the other soldiers have Katress heal her," Sam says.

     "I don't want to," Katress says crossing his arms.