Chapter 21 - Back to Clara

I had just finished off a hunter. The last of his blood dripping from my reddened lips. It was odd now. We had been traveling for a few days from Illinois and I had become strangely comfortable with human blood once more. It was defiantly an easier transition than from human to animal.

I still felt a sense of guilt for taking their life, but it had become immensely easier than I originally thought it would be. I dropped the man to the ground and wiped my jaw clean. "That was fun," I said sarcastically as Xavier appeared behind me. "Now what? You wanna keep going or just hang around here for a while?" I was hoping for the latter. Lately it'd seemed like we were always running, which I suppose was my fault.

I was the one with the family that we're both heading for and running from, Xavier was just coming along for the ride. "We can hang back for a while, even if we don't sleep it's still nice to slow down ever now and again." He smiled showing the smallest amount of blood still at the edge of his lips.

"Here," I said before quickly moving my hand to rub the smudge away. "your nice and all, but I think someone might react negativity if they noticed blood on you." He smiled again, although not in a cocky or flirtatious way like he had in the past.

Our short-lived romance of my seeming second life (or was it third counting humanity?) had since simmered to a nice relationship of close friends. We still flirted , but not to the point of it meaning anything.

As thoughts of a romance between Xavier and I faded I found myself thinking more of Danny. Was there a chance of a remaining flame? Had my brothers come through to do as I asked and erased any feeling he'd had for me like I proposed?

With each thought of Danny I could feel the hate for myself building. It was puzzling. To feel good about killing people, and yet still have feelings for someone like Danny. My mind sent me back to the encounter when we both realized exactly who each other were. 

       "You keep from killing someone and I don't have to kill you, OK?"

I shuddered. It was strange that we actually built a relationship after he said that. Still somehow we did. How long did it last? Looking back it didn't seem important. I was sure that it couldn't have been long. After all teenage love didn't ever seem to last long enough, probably because teens trap themselves in an illusion. Maybe we were just in one of those. Forever seeking a love that wasn't meant to last.

My mind drifted to my brother. How was the his and Celia's relationship going? I could only hope for the best for them. The last I saw of them they looked happy enough, well as happy as a human could look right after she learned that her boyfriend and his family were blood-sucking creatures of the dark.

I wondered if she had seen him in the sun, I laughed thinking of her reaction. Sparking-blood-sucking creatures of the dark defiantly seem less scary. Knowing Celia she was probably captivated for a half of a moment before simply telling him he looked like a fairy, or something along those lines.

I laughed again at the thought, then glanced back at Xavier. He sat on a fallen tree not far away from me, running a hand through his mess of black hair. He then lit a match, burning what was left of the humans. I shuddered and was instantly happy that Xavier was fearless enough to be the one to burn them.

If I had to burn two people -even dead people- i'd probably loose what was left of my humanity. "Are you alright Chéri?" He asked, looking up from the small blaze.

"Of course," I lied painfully bad, at least compared to my usual finesse. He noticed and waved me to come over to him. I sat next to him on the tree, pulling my knees to my chest and allowing myself to almost disappear in the sea of my own strawberry colored hair.