Chapter 7: New Trouble

When I answered the door I found my brother looking down at me. Not Clark, but Jasper stood in front of me, Alice behind him a few feet. "Jasper." I said embracing him in a tight hug.

"Hi Clara." he hugged me back, and I was glad the happiness I felt seeing him covered the suspicion.

"Jasper, Alice how are you." Amanda said, going around me to hug Alice as I still held my brother.

"We are fine, the plane was nearly empty."

"Everyone is heading south for spring break," Amanda explained, Where has time gone? Then I thought of Danny, and I had my answer, We'd continued our secret imprint relationship since the day in the wood, casually getting more used to each other, and closer. It was romantic, and dangerous which is probably why we enjoyed it so much.

Clark and Celia had also been gaining distance in the field of relationships, he was bound to bring her home any day now. Amanda knew, she was getting excited about it, I think Scott could tell too, but doesn't care as much.

"Not us, we're actually staying in Maine" Alice looked over at Jasper "He needs to spend some time with his sister, and I would love to explore Maine."

"Jasper, Alice good to see you've gotten here safe, are you still staying with us?" Scott asked, appearing from thin air.

"Yes, sir. Although knowing Alice we wont spend much time in your home." He laughed, but Alice acted upset at his playful banter.

Only after they were settled in did I begin to bug Alice, nervous that she would know my secret.

"Hi Clara," she hugged me, the top of her her tiny frame only reaching up to my cheek.

"Hi Alice it's so good to see you, how have you been?"

Well," she began "you'll be happy to know that you can return to Washington, Jacob just wants to talk to you the next time you're in town."

"Hey do you think I could give them a call?"

"do you have their numbers?" I smiled, and nodded.

"Well Quil and Embry's anyway." Quil gave them both to me, it was right before I was leaving Forks.

"Then I'm sure they wouldn't mind a all, are you going to ask questions for Danny?" she smiled impishly.

"Does everyone know?" I asked, about ready to punch a wall.

"yes, including Jasper."

"When did you all figure it out?"

"It was a good hint when I stopped seeing your future, then I called Clark," she held my hand in hers

"I don't think anyone in my family cares, Bella even mentioned it was sweet, like Renesmee and Jacob." I shook my head, thinkning of Jacob.

"If it helps, you don't smell like mutt." She smiled, trying to cheer me up, and failing.

"Thanks Alice." I hugged her "I think I'm going to go for a hunt." her eyes were a bright gold, she wasn't coming with.

I jumped from the window in her room, landing silently on the ground. The woods were packed tonight, I glanced at my watch, it was a little past 10. I took a long breath, then found what I was looking for, a coyote, why not?

It was big for a coyote, but that's not something that could deter me. I was about to pounce when I heard something, a twig breaking. I turned and could smell it a human, then I saw her. She looked frail, like a china doll. Her thin frame, and large glasses just expressed how easily I could take her down.

NO! I screamed to myself, trying desperately not to get any closer, I could feel the color draining from my eyes, venom filled my mouth. Suddenly I was tossed back, my back held roughly against a trees bark, about an inch off the ground. "What are you doing?" Danny whispered in my ear, holding me by my shoulders. "You shouldn't be so close to town, it's to dangerous." He held me near him, making sure I couldn't leave his firm grasp.I held my breath as she slowly disappeared from the forest. "can you imagine what could've happened?"

I hung my head, ashamed, refusing to meet his eyes "Thanks for being here," then it occurred to me "Why are you here, Danny?"

"I could smell you from a mile away, I have the best noise in my pack. Plus you're kinda hard to miss." He kissed my forehead "I'm just glad I was here Clara." After a while Danny slowly backed away from the tree.

"Is she gone," I waited for him to nod before I took in a breath.

"The coyotes still there." He directed us back the way I'd come, until I had it in my sights. I gave him a quick, flirtatious kiss on the lips, before going after the coyote. I chased it a little, not wanting to have Danny see me 'eat'.

When I came back he was still there "Hows my eyes?" I quizzed, looking straight at him.

"Golden, with the tiniest hue of red." I gasped,

"Red, really?" I wanted to run home and check, but I noticed Danny, he was standing still, completely still. I heard the faint howl, then saw the flash of white pass by us, only momentarily stopping.

He looked at me, and then at Danny. I was sure we were both in a defensive position, waiting. The vampire misunderstood, looking back at me and jumping from his post. "Looks as if you could use some assistance Chéri." He had a southern accent, it sounded like he was from New Orleans.

I saw from the corner of my eye that Danny had already changed. probably when he first smelled the vampire, Now a brown and red wolf stood in his place. Danny sent me a look to play along.

"I think I can handle myself sir." I brought out the closet thing I could to my own southern accent, it still had it's original flow. The vampire seemed surprised. "Parle-vous francais?"

"Yo sé español, actually." He seemed disappointed. We circled Danny, I tried hard to give him a means of escape. but it was a howl in the distance that sent the wolf running, he charged and then jumped over us.

"Looks like no beast today," The vampire said, he had scruffy black hair, and deep red eyes, almost black. "would you like to join me?" he asked.

"I'm heading up to Canada to find some fresh blood." he added, A shiver went through me thinking of the girl earlier.

"n-no, thank you anyway, my name is Clara by the way." I stuck out my hand to shake his, instead he kissed my hand right above my knuckles.

"I am Xavier, it's nice to meet you Clara." he gave me back my hand, his own lingering at my fingertips. He looked about 18, my brothers age.

"Hello," A voice not far behind us came from the tree, I could tell it was Scott. I turned and saw Jasper standing behind him.

"While hello there," Xavier looked up at Scott, smiling.

"Chéri is this your family?"

"yes." I said looking over at my family, they made their way over to us

"welcome," Scott said, shaking Xavier''s hand "I'm Scott, and this is Jasper." He said directing his free hand towards Jasper.

"It's good to meet you I'm Xavier." he smiled.

"How long have you been in Maine?"

"I have been traveling for a few days, don't worry I'm just passing through."

"Thank you, my family has a permanent coven nearby."

"Oh, you do not drink from from humans then?" he looked back over to me, raising his brow in surprise.

"No, we try to coexist with them, you're free to join us for a while if you like."

"Not right now," he said walking about them "Maybe on the way back, if I can track you down."

There was a moment when his face turned menacing, and dark, before he disappeared into the tree. "we better go tell the rest of the family." Scott suggested.

"yeah, It was a good thing Alice saw him coming." They were gone an instant later, I was still standing there when they would've made it home. Something didn't sit right with me about Xavier.