Chapter 4

We had left the beach behind a while ago, but the smell seemed trapped in my noise, Esme said it would take some getting used to, I could just hope she was right. the amount of wildlife they had near Forks was fantastic. It was a small town so the animals must've thought they could live at the edge of the forest without to much danger, weaving in between the large stony outcrops, and forests that flowed into town.

It only took a deer for me to  be satisfied, and I could feel the gold slowly returning to my darkened eyes. On the way back we held our first real conversation "you'll be alright Clara," I looked up, not sure what she meant exactly. "you already have very good control, and I hear you're attending school. That is excellent practice." she smiled down at me.

"I suppose... I still have a lot of work to do though," my eyes have always remained a  tad darker than my brothers, giving off a small, crimson glow before they turn black when I'm thirsty. Maybe that's why the wolves glared, they saw that I was more of a threat than the Cullen's. "thank you though Esme, I appreciate it."

"How is Maine this time of year."

"It's autumn, so similar to here. We are a little dryer though."

"When Edward was on his own Carlisle and I spent some time there, beautiful place," she seemed to glaze over for a moment, caught in a memory. "It was a little while after that when we stumbled upon Forks, it reminded us of Maine, and how easily we could blend in there."

"What town did you live in?"

"We resided in many places, my favorite was Lubec. West Quoddy Head in Lubec is the farthest to the east you can go in the United States, and I thought it was amazing to see the sunrise there. We still have a home there, if you ever want to visit."  I smiled at her hospitality.

 "Thank you, but I've already missed a lot of school," I looked down at my watch "We should get back home, the others are probably waiting."

As we followed the path to their home, I began to get the smell of the wolves again, this time slightly different. "so the wolves can come into your land" I questioned Esme.

"That depends on the pack Clara," she pushed away some branches in the path before continuing "Those at the house are part of Jacob's pack, not Sam's." she said it as if i was suppose to catch on.

"Hello" Alice chimed walking outside to meet us "The Wolves are back." she grabbed my arm and began to pull me towards the house.

"Yes, Clara became acquainted with Sam and Paul already." Esme said laughing.

The house was already full of their scent and the first one a met was the girl, her name was Leah. She didn't seem to care much for me, nor I for her. She politely shook my hand, but then seemed to  slowly vanish out of existence when I went to meet two boys.

The first boy was Quil. he seemed nice enough, if not a little foolish.

"Nice to meet you Clara" I stuck out my hand and he quickly took it, shaking ferociously. Wow, i thought, at least he wasn't being as rude as Sam and Paul.

" Hi I'm Embry." He also shook my hand, this time a little nervously compared to that of his friend.

"That's an interesting name."

"It's from a soap-opera actor that my mom liked." He smiled and blushed, I suddenly felt bad for pointing out his name.

"Well it's good to meet you guys." Quil asked, i shook my head. He led me outside towards the forests "Hey Jake!" he yelled into the surrounding brush. After a moment of waiting a large russet-brown furred wolf appeared from the depleting light behind the trees. He looked down at me with dark brown eyes, A low growl escaped from his mussel.