Chapter 19

It had just occurred to me the I was shacking, no, someone was shaking me. "Hey, Clara!" His voice was loud, powerful. It occurred to me that the sun had long since risen through the windows, both his and my skin glistened with the crystal effects of the sun.

"Maria. Is she still human?" Xavier shook his head, immediately it occurred to me how long ago it had taken place, it was even before I'd met Clark. "Is she dead?" My voice shook with concern. Xavier smiled.

"No, she has long since become a vampire once more. I was with her, before I traveled up to Maine and found you." The way he'd said 'and found you' made me feel like blushing. wait, was he flirting? In such a situation, not only was it not appropriate as he knew I still had feeling for Danny -although I had not even thought of talking of him since we'd left Maine- but rude in such a serious situation. I pushed myself out of his grasp "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Were you just flirting?" I almost yelled, after he didn't respond I sighed "Fine, not the point. What happened to Maria?"

Xavier moved me onto the couch in the other room, sitting me down before continuing "She did become human, although it lasted much longer than any of us had expected. You see she decided it would be easier to wait out for the life you'd given her to fade away until her vampirsm returned than to find a vampire who could turn her without killing her completely. Although it soon became apparent that your gift had made her human, permanently.

I gasped "Wait, how is that possible?"

"I don't know Clara, although it is what happened. Maria actually enjoyed her second human life for five years. She even gained a husband, and had conceived a child, a daughter named Astrid. "

I smiled "sounds like she was very happy," then something dawned on me "wait, when did she become a vampire again?" I sat up straighter on the couch, sure that it would not be pleasant news.

Xavier sent me a look of dismay "Well, all beginnings arise from an end I'm sorry to say." I could feel invisible tears forming before he continued "Maria, her husband, and their child were sent to Volterra I'm afraid. The Volturi were extremely interested in how she had regained her humanity and if any Vampire genes lingered in her offspring."

"Stop!" I screamed, much louder than necessary. I could feel myself shaking, out of sadness, guilt, and regret "Do not tell me they killed her, or her family! I will not sit hear and listen to this!" I stood, and couldn't help but push Xavier away, although he grasped by wrist's before I shoved him down. I landed on him as we both fell onto the floor, I huffed out an upset cry and quickly rose to my feet. Xavier arose a moment later, still holding my hand strongly.

"You must listen, I know you Clara. This will haunt you with the questions of what happened next unless you listen now." I sighed, he was correct.

"I just don't want to hear you explain her families deaths, OK."

"Only her husband perished that day, both Maria and her child were freed from the Volturi's wrath."

"Why just her husband?" I asked, half expecting the answer.

"Maria refused to have him turned, even after the Volturi changed her back into a vampire. She didn't want him to experience a life like ours. She had never told him of her past and although she plead with the Volturi to release Astrid to her father and send them back to the states, the Volturi agreed to her face, but two of the leaders found it extremely ignorant of her not to think of the problems that may arise from a human knowing the truth and where to find them and there was no desire for the coven to move to a new location. Caius specifically killed him. Unfortunately I watch the execution, but was given direct orders to never tell Maria" Xavier sat on the arm of the couch, as if he were tired of telling the story. "After five years of being human, all she wanted to do was to age, bear children, watch them grow, and die. I still believe it to be amazing how much she changed in such short time."

"Does she know of her husbands death? What of her child, Astrid?" I found myself intrigued. At the same time, a hole was beginning to form in my chest.

"No, she still believes that he lived on, Aro even told her that her husband had boarded a plane the same day. It's strange to think that our leaders, or at least who we look at to be out leaders, are willing to lie to us of something so tragic as the loss of a lover.  As for Astrid, she was placed in the care of Heidi, one the Volturi's members. I haven't seen her since Maria and I were dismissed from the Volturi's presence." I sensed some sadness in Xavier's tone, and his eyes seemed to glaze over for a moment in thought.

"This is my fault." I say, choking out the words "How could I have been so stupid? I shouldn't have attempted anything at all. My powers are cool, but Maria lost her family because of them."

"Maybe someday we can find Maria and you can turn her human again." Xavier comforted, clearly just trying to calm me down.

"I suppose," I sighed "still we certainly can't stay here." I said, looking down at the dead body still on the ground across the room.

Xavier smiled, nodding "I agree completely. We're would you like to go?"

"Eventually, I think I want to go home, but for now? Let's head West towards my brother."