Chapter 23 (Final Chapter)

I could feel some of the eyes on me, I looked up every now and pursed my lips, making a face of control. I almost instantly began carrying myself as I had the last time I was at the camp. Radiating power, grace, and most of all, dignity. I met the eyes of those who looked my way.

However the more I looked, the more I began to notice something astounding. The vampires of the camps eye; they were a mix of varying shades and hues. Some were the deep crimson similar to my own, others had the golden glow which I had long since lost. Most had a mix of the two as if transitioning. "Vegetarians?" I asked, looking up to see Garth's eye too were a tanned auburn.

"Yes," he began, shrugging. "There is a town not far from here. In order to survive many have taken to animals instead of humans. I see you have gone the other way though." he said, speaking of the red that had filled in my eyes with human blood.

"Traveling with Xavier has brought back more than my memories Garth," I said sighing. He stopped us then, turning to me.

"A blood lust is nothing to be ashamed of Clara, not if it's what you really want. You're just following your instincts." Instincts, yes. I thought to myself, of course.

"What have you been up to since we last met Clara, I assume you no longer are affiliating with Clark?" my head seemed to snap up at my brothers named. Garth noticed and raised an eyebrow.

"Haven't heard anyone speak of him in a while," I said "however you're right, I haven't spoken to my brother in some time."

As we continued to walk Garth continued with his questions "Why? What happened that you left him behind?"

"Time, I suppose. Differences, the fact that they all hid my past...The usual." I said, sarcasm dripping from my words.

"They did it to protect you, but you know that. You're too smart of a girl to hold that against them forever. Ya wanna know what I think?" I looked up, he noted my curiosity "Well I think you're just too scared to get yourself back up there. What with your life crashing down, I suppose that’d make sense, but it's still odd 'cause you were always the backbone to our little rough house here." as he finished he used his hand to direct around the land.

I sighed for the millionth time, taking in an unneeded breath. "Well, what would you do in my shoes?" Garth scratched his head, messing up his shaggy brown hair. For a moment I was reminded of the first time we'd met "I guess this time I am a lost little girl." I laughed, quoting him.

He looked down at her, puzzled "What?"

"The first thing you said to me, 'Lost little girl?'...that was the  first thing you said when we met. God, we've come a long way."

He looked disappointed for a moment, then said "You don't blame me do you? You don't blame me for your purgatory that you've got going right?" He sounded nervous, and possibly remorseful.

"You answered your own question earlier." I said taking a few steps ahead of him "If I was ever was that kind of girl I'm not anymore." He smiled, the luminosity from it allowing his eyes to sparkle like gold colored lanterns.

"Clara, you are here!" I heard a familiar, cooing voice. I turned to see a beautiful women (even by vampire standards) standing behind Garth. "You always were good at sneaking up on people Delila." I sighed, walking over to her. She stepped around her mate to hug me. I stiffened almost out of instinct but a moment later managed to hug her back. It was strange, to be hugged in the way that she did. It reminded me of my mother of Maine, Amanda.

"How long you've been away." She sounded so sad, like she would've been crying. I could've drowned in her white hair as she held me tight and close to her.