Chapter 11: The Centipede 3000

As the rats start rushing past us, a huge robotic centipede had come scurrying around the corner, covered in armoured plates all along its body. Mounted with turrets and machine guns between the gaps on the armoured plates. It was dark metal grey with red coloured eyes and it looked deadly as fuck.
"Oh fuck, what the fuck is that?" I screamed.
"Not a clue but I can bet anything that fucker Eli Mogoloth is behind it being here," Ava said.
"Let's fall back for now until we can come up with a plan," Samuel was shouting.
"Good idea!" I said.
As we were trying to fall back, the Centipede machine fired a missile point blank at us.
"Jump for cover!!!" Ava screamed.

BANG!!!!

After realising I hadn't been blown to bits, I get up to look around me, and I can see the Centipede machine's machine guns spinning up, ready to pulverise the rest of us.
I look to my other side and can see Ava already getting up and helping Samuel up. To my other side is Josie bent over Eva's half mutilated body, screaming out with tears running down her face.

"Josie! there is nothing we can do for her! we have to go now!" screamed Samuel. 

Eventually Josie gets up to start running with us for cover only for us to all witness Samuel jump in front of Josie to protect her from the onslaught of bullets flying everywhere from the Centipede's machine guns. We all watch as Samuel's body is torn apart from the bullets and Ava and I quickly grab Josie before making it around the corner safe for the moment from the Centipede's attacks. 

"How the fuck do we stop that kind of thing?" I asked Ava.

"We are going to need either a rocket launcher or some explosives of some kind," Ava said.

"I have an idea that could work?" Josie said sobbing. 

"What is it Josie?" I ask.

Josie used to work in the tech sector of the military barracks before joining us on our mission and she seems to know a thing or two about hacking, controlling and weaknesses in all sorts of technology, especially military technology. 

"If I can get within five to ten metres of that centipede machine, then I might be able to temporary shut it down for two or three minutes allowing for you guys to find a way to destroy it or get inside it to shut it down," Josie said.

"That could be hard for you to get that close. How much time do you need to allow for the temporary hack to work?" I asked.

"Maybe three minutes at best?" Josie said. 

"Ok, do it!" Ava said.

Ava and I started firing at the centipede machine from two different directions to distract its aim. meanwhile, Josie runs behind Ava with a device on her wrist beeping as she gets close to the centipede whilst hiding behind Ava. My job is to distract the centipede machine's aim and throw it off. 

Two minutes have passed, and I'm almost out of ammunition. I now just start running in a zig zag pattern to confuse its aim until it fires another missile right toward my direction. I quickly jump to the left, but the explosion from the missile sends me flying backwards.

"Daniel!" shouted Ava. 

The centipede machine turned its machine guns barrels focus onto Ava and Josie now. Shit I fucked up, and now everyone is going to die because of me. I hate being useless, and I don't want to die. Before my vision starts to blur I look up and see that the centipede machine pauses mid gun fire and Josie comes rushing over to me. Ava meanwhile jumps on top the centipede machine's head and finds a hatch that she shoots open. She disappears for a couple of minutes then jumps out and starts running towards me before...

BOOOOM!!!

The centipede machine explodes into tiny little bits of cogs, screws, metal bits and chunks of cable. I couldn't believe it we had somehow once again survived the impossible. I think Ava might even be a cyborg at this point. I laugh to myself at the thought of this before passing out.