Chapter 51 - The Swayam Var of the Era, Part I

Ran-Sringas and large Drums announced the unfolding of the grand Swayam Var of Yagnaseni which even the Gods from the heavens came to witness.

The crescent moon-shaped open Sabha stood in the heart of Kampilya. The arena was specially built to host Draupadi's Swayam Var which exudes grandeur with its magnificent architecture and lavish decorations. Intricate motifs were curved in red sandstone and precious jewels were embedded into the ornate pillars. Sun's gracious rays fell on those gems making them look like twinkling stars. Garlands and floral arrangements of various colourful, sweet-smelling exotic flowers, fragrant resin, and incense burning in ornate golden censers filled the air with a divine scent. Fine drapes of red and yellow, chains of gold and diamonds hanging in every corner of the Arena made it radiate like Indra's Sabha in the heavens. At the head of the Arena facing the entrance, King Drupad's large golden throne was placed in a lavishly decorated compartment. Beside the king's throne on both sides sat three similar but comparatively smaller thrones, one on the right and two on the left. Circling the arena various other compartments could be seen, decorated with artefacts from different kingdoms reserved for the royals of that place. From behind the royal compartments, a vast gallery stretched upwards filled to the brim with onlookers. Particular gallery areas were allotted to various castes and groups of people.

A large golden ceremonial water vessel was placed in the heart of the arena on a dias. The glorious bow stand remained vacant on its side, waiting to hold the mighty Kindhura. The dias had a very high roof above it supported by tall ornate pillars. A rotating golden fish and a spinning disc with a small hole at its centre hung from the ceiling.

King Drupad didn't hesitate to show off his wealth in front of his elite guests. The common subjects of Panchal gazed at the arrangements of the Swayam Var of their only princess with wide eyes and open mouths. Some gaped looking at the vast decorations, some at the setup for the competition. Did anyone notice the sour smiles appearing on some of their faces? If one could look inside their minds, one would see the bitterness they felt towards their King at that moment. All these lavish extravagances came at the cost of their hard-earned money which the king collected as taxes. But who cares about that? Just like everyone sings the praise of the King instead of the underpaid workers and architects whose blood turned into sweat while building the masterpiece. But at the end of the day, all they were able to do was watch, nothing else.

Fragrant flower petals were being showered as Panchal Raj Drupad entered the arena with Rajkumar Dhrishtadyumna beside him. Dressed in luxurious clothing, precious jewels, and his golden crown Drupad walked in carrying an aura of authority and went to sit on his throne. Dhrishtadyumna took his seat on the single throne on the right side of his father.

After them, one by one the guests and suitors came in as their names and their heroic deeds were being announced.

On top of the majestic entrance sat a group of musicians with their Clarinets, and Tablas. The cheerful sweet tunes and the young male and female dancers entertained the spectators. Neatly dressed Das and Dasis served them refreshments. After all the royals were settled in their respective sports, Drupad stood up and offered his gratitude towards all the royals who attended the grand Swayam Var of his daughter, the only princess of Panchal, Yagnaseni Draupadi. 

-"To the noble rulers and esteemed princes of Aryavarth, who have travelled from distant lands, your presence here today graces this occasion with significance and grandeur. Your esteemed presence not only honours us but also enriches the sacred traditions that bind our kingdoms together. It is with immense pleasure and honour that I extend a warm welcome to each one of you on this auspicious occasion. Today marks a momentous event in the history of our kingdom, as we gather here to celebrate the Swayam Var of my beloved daughter, Yagnaseni Draupadi. She, who is born from the sacrificial fire of the Yagna and is the most beautiful woman of this age.