14

the week passed by fast and it was thursday by now.
august and i had been talking here and there, especially in the class we shared together. we never really brought up the party or me getting absolutely hammered at it. i'm guessing he didn't want me to feel more embarrassed.
we were friendly with each other now. i dropped the initial standoffish attitude i had with him initially; realising he wasn't as much of an ass as people deemed him to be. i had gotten to see his true self when he took care of me, and he was good.

i walked over to my locker, wanting to grab one of my books for the following class.
as i unlocked it, i spotted a small white envelope sitting there on top of all my stuff.

it definitely wasn't me.

i reached for it, examining the outside carefully. it was just a plain one, with a dark blue wax stamp and the letter 'a' in cursive. i opened it, trying not to rip it. inside was a neatly arranged note.
i grabbed it out of the envelope and read what it said.

'i found this while cleaning my dorm. it's pretty. i believe you must have left it when you were there'
'- august'
the bottom said.

i searched for more things in the envelope and pulled out the heart necklace maddy had let me borrow.
i thought i had lost it at the party and someone had taken it. apparently not, it had been sitting in august's floor this whole time.

this was... sweet.

too sweet.

it made me suspicious of him.

"y/n?" i heard a male voice say.

i turned around to see who it was.

"i see you opened the letter?"
august looked down at my hand which was still holding the envelope and necklace.

"yes. thank you, really. i thought it got stolen or something."

"at hillerska? no, no one would." he shook his head.
"anyways... would you- would you like to eat lunch with me today?" he asked smiling.

typically i sat with simon and sara. no one understood me quite as well as they did, and they were some of the coolest kids in the school. it was unfair how they were treated by the other posh kids for no reason.

i suppose sitting with august wouldn't hurt though.

"yeah, sure. why not?"

lunch time rolled around and i stepped into the cafeteria.
i grabbed a tray of food and walked to august's table. he was sitting by himself.

"hi." i said.

"hi." he smiled.

i smiled back at him and sat down across from him.

"are you going to felice's house on sunday?"

huh?

oh.
right. felice had invited me to go watch a movie at her house on saturday. she said she invited other people and friends of hers.
i didn't think her and august were close.

"yes, i am."

don't do it, don't do it.

"are you friends with her?"

and there it is. i can't control my jealousy.

he shook his head.
"not exactly, she's friends with wille and he's going, so, i'm going. plus, some of my friends are going."

"oh."
"cool."

"why do you ask?"

"just curious." i replied immediately.

a smile began forming in his lips.
he could tell i was trying to play off that i cared about him and felice being friends with each other.
obviously i wasn't jealous of felice; i had nothing against her. i had actually grown closer to her as time passed by.
i just... don't appreciate guys i like having a lot of girl friends.

"mhm."  he responded, trying to stop himself from smiling further.

i looked down at my food tray, wanting to avoid eye contact with him.
it was some weird type of pasta that was a native swedish dish with meatballs on top,  a breadstick, and a slice of chocolate cake.

i grabbed my fork and took a small bite of pasta.