19

i was staring up at august, who despite avoiding me, was still the planner of the parents day dinner, and had to tell me and my father where to sit.
he was looking back at me with a blank expression, his mouth in a straight line, with no hints of his usual smile.

"follow me." he said dryly.

we walked behind august as he told us to. my dad looked back at me and raised an eyebrow at me.

"y este tío?"
(and this dude?)

"me odia."
(he hates me)

we reached a big round table table with a white cloth spread across it. there was another family that we had to share the table with; some student i had never seen before.

"enjoy your stay or... something."
he muttered and walked away.

well isn't he a ball of sunshine?

i rolled my eyes and sat down on one of the wooden chairs at the table. my dad pulled out the chair to my right; sitting down next to me and the two of us maintaining a distance from the other family.
i looked at them and stretched out my hand. i might as well greet them right?

"y/n l/n" i smiled.

both of the parents smiled back at me and shook my hand, the father shaking it after the mother. i gave a small smile to their son and mouthed the word "hi".
my dad followed my steps, introducing himself to them as well.

the servers brought in the food and everything was going well.

that until i looked over at felice's table, where her parents, as well as august's, wilhelm's and simon & sara's mom were sitting.
august say something about his dad's company in a harsh tone then got up and left.

not long after, felice's mom, felice, sara, simon, and simon's mom all began arguing with each other and felice stormed out of the room. wilhelm following behind her.

it snapped all of us out of our conversations and turned our attentions to their table.

should i go after her? should i go after him?

i felt like i need to help one of them, at least comfort them in some way. i know better than anyone what its like to have a difficult relationship with your parents and how arguments with them can ruin special occasions such as this one.

but i just stayed in my seat.

i can't involve myself in drama that doesn't concern me, that's how problems always begin.

once the dinner was over, everyone began saying bye to their parents.

my dad and i hugged each other and parted our own ways, i began to leave towards the girls dormitory building, when i saw august talking with his mom. he looked upset and distressed.

he walked away from her, going past me.

seeing the look on his face, my heart took over my body, and without thinking i began going after him.
he was walking fast, and he was taller than me which gave him more of an advantage.
both of us walked through a trail surrounded by trees near a field, but then i noticed simon was near where we were.

he called out august's name and walked towards him in an overly agressive manner.

august's breathed out and pleaded to simon to not make a scene and that he wasn't in the mood.

then, simon threw a punch at august's face.

what. the. fuck.
what just happened?

what was in the air today that just made everyone act this way?

august turned his face to the side, covering his nose in pain.

i sprinted over to where they were, grabbing simon's arm in a gentle way, making sure not to be too hostile with him as he was still one of my best friends, yet firmly enough for him to not throw another punch at august.

i looked at him, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
i didn't know what was going on or why he did that, i just knew i wasn't okay with august getting hurt.

despite trying to push aside my feelings for him for the day, i still felt them, and they felt heavier than ever right now.

"what- why? what the fuck?"
i couldn't breathe properly.

simon shook his head and moved his arm away.
"i'll tell you later." he said, walking away.

i turned to face august.

"what happened? are you okay?" i asked worriedly.

he looked back at me, his eyes heartbroken, nose dripping with blood, and yet his face full of spite.

"i don't want to talk to you."

i didn't know what to reply.

"i... just want to know if you're okay."

"like you care."

"i do- i've always cared."

"don't lie to me! you don't give a shit for anyone's feelings."
he raised his voice at me.

"i do." i replied quietly.

"first you meet me and go and flirt with my cousin, then- then you make me take care of you while you are fucked up- and you... and you- become friends with me, and then you turn me down and walk away from me like i- i just mean nothing!"
his eyes began to fill up with tears.

i couldn't even explain is how many ways he was wrong about that.

"that's not true."
i shook my head and tilted it.

"just- just leave me alone! i don't need more stress in my life."

a tear streamed down his face. he quickly wiped it away and walked away.