Unlikely Trio (Pt 14)

Aziraphale's POV:

The line had just been cut and I was frozen in shock. I could hear on the other side of the room the demons and angels talking about their close encounter with The Metatron and how there are still some trapped in Hell...Including Crowley. I couldn't move. Even though I don't necessarily need air it felt as though I'd lost the ability to breath. Crowley is trapped and I couldn't do anything to help him I thought. 

"Aziraphale. What do we do? Uriel is still trapped down there along with a few other angels and demons. How do we get them out of there?" Michael asks worried about her friend. 

"I don't know" I murmur.

"Well, we can't sit here and do nothing!" Michael insists.

"What do you propose we do? Do you have any ideas?" I ask back.

"N-no but we have to do something they won't last by themselves against the Metatron's monster. They'd cease to exist draining the angels and evaporating the demons. Crowley would be..."

"Don't. Speak. Another word." I practically growl. I already have my own fears and in don't need her to add to them.

"We need to make our stand up here and prepare ourselves for when the Metatron comes for us here and hope for the best of our friends." I command attempting to keep ourselves together. When the phone rings and all hold their breath and look to me. I look down at the phone knowing that I can't answer this line again. No matter what I know that Crowley wouldn't want me to answer it even if it trapped him to hell again. Unplugging the phone line everyone in the room breathed.

"Aziraphale if we don't answer the phone how will they come through?" Muriel asks softly.

"They are going to have to find another way here." I say feeling the words sink like lead into my stomach. Demons and Angels immediately start yelling and arguing about how unfair it is to make them find another way.

"DON"T YOU GET IT!" I yell, causing all to become silent, "Crowley knew what hanging up the phone meant, and yet he hung up to save the greater many than risk jumping through with the last of them and bringing the Metatron straight to us." 

"W-we understand b-but..." a demon comes forward.

"But what?" I snap.

"But we have no leader. Crowley nor Shax" The demons nod in agreement.

"We are one unit now forget sides and for once understand that we are more alike that what most of you would think."  I tell them while frustratedly trying to think of the next steps.

Oh, Crowley please be safe.

Crowley's POV:

I'm dead I thought as The Metatron made his way to the small group of quivering celestials. Praying to anything that Aziraphale doesn't call back we watch in fear as The Metatron hovers above us all.

"What have you done!? Where are the rest of you?" The Metatron booms. Noone answers him and so he turns to the phone and his eyes rest on me.

"Who did you call?" He shouts.

"..."
"NOW!" He yells even louder, "WHO DID YOU CALL? WHERE DID THEY GO!?" 

With that finally yell it became instinct and we all ran. Shax, Uriel, and I ran one way, and a small flock of demons and angels ran another. Furious The Metatron rushes the smaller group and is slashing through demons and draining angels. I watch in horror as a demon desperately calls back on the phone and then is blasted away. The phone rings we all hold our breath as the Metatron slowly makes his way towards the line and awaits the other side to answer. I willed that Aziraphale wouldn't make the mistake of answering when I hear the most beautiful, automated message.

"Sorry this line has been disconnected please try again at a later time" The robot didn't tell The Metatron where they were and also disclosed that Aziraphale unplugged the phone making my heart able to beat again. The Metatron roars in frustration and starts his hunt for the last of us.

"Crowley, Shax, and Uriel the most unlikely trio I must say" he sneers as he turns corner after corner searching. 

Shax looks terrified and ready to bolt at any minute and so to keep her from giving away our hiding spot I grab her hand and make her look at me. I put a finger to my lips and signal for her silence she nods and I look over at Uriel who also agrees. I then realize the best way to hide is not behind furniture but by making yourself into a being so small your undetectable. I look at both of them excitedly and signal for them to watch me. I make myself small and the two look at me confused.

"Fool why would you make yourself an easier target?" Whispered Shax. Uriel didn't hesitate and shrunk quickly causing Shax to feel scared and join in. With these even smaller forms we notice that The Metatron was having a harder time locating us. and just as we'd started to move we hear a shout.

"Found you!" We freeze until we hear the high pitch shreak of a demon that is no more and had apparently still been hiding. 

Signaling for the two to follow me we start running from furniture to garbage to stay out of eyesight of the Metatron. Frustrated the Metatron starts talking again.

"Uriel. I'll make a deal with you. You're an Angel you don't need to be surrounded by demons and this filth. If you show me where the two demons are I will grant you imunity and allow you to live in my new world." I look to Uriel fearfully thankfully Uriel isn't as stupid as The Metatron had thought and didn't accept the offer. 

"SHAX! how about you? Wouldn't you like to live and take down a traitor and an angel? Imagine the fame you'd get!" The Metatron tempted. Shax appeared to think this through and for once made a smart decision to stay silent.

"Croooowley" he droned, "... I'll give you a deal you cannot refuse. Give me the two idiots and you and Aziraphale will be pardoned and can run away together after I've finished my work."

This time it was the two's turn to look at me fear bleached the both of them as they knew that this was indeed an offer that could tempt me. Shaking my head the two of them let out gentle sighs of relief.

"FOOLS! ALL OF YOU!" The Metatron yowled, "I will have your power and then I will make all the others suffer the same fate... and for Aziraphale I will tell him of how painful a death you had and with that he will crumple to his knees and beg for an end!"

We proceeded through Hell and the Metatron got further and further away not able to recognize our location any longer. Trapped and alive we got further and further away from the threat trying to find another method of escape.

Authors note:

Hey this is getting interesting yes!? Hope your enjoying this as well!

-JVanRuisdael