Roses - Lance Stroll

driver: Lance Stroll

pronouns: Not Mentioned

prompt: "Roses" and "Honest" by Shawn Mendes

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

Lance was jealous, it wasn't a great feeling especially when it was mixed with a lot of regret because it just seemed to get worse when coming to think about it, the thought of letting you go ate him inside out everytime he came to thought of it and it was more present whenever you appeared in reunions or he saw your face in his social media and it gave him the drive to push the pedal to the bottom whenever he was in a race to fill him with the anger to really push through and try to make it more and more to the top, it pissed him off that he let you go because he couldn't give what he promised to give you, he knew you deserved a lot more than he could even give and it broke his heart to even come to the realization and the decision to end things with you but it filled him with anger to have lost your love and have lost you all completely because although you were still friends there was a lack of evident communication between him and you and there wasn't really a way to fix that because the way he ended things was really heartbreaking, but you made a new life in a way of saying, you found someone that could give and could receive, that someone became someone truly special to you and your family, but Lance still was in your mind in a way, probably because of the sudden break of your new found feelings when he called you that night.

can you meet me downstreet?  Lance had messaged you that night, in that moment you had thought it was a surprise date as he sometimes did, so you went and ran to him when you saw him.

"hi." He spoke, he hugged you tightly like he was afraid to let you go, and he was, you had no idea at the moment but when everything went down it just clicked to you the way he hugged you like it might be the last time. "I need to talk to you." He sighed, you had pulled away.

"what's wrong?" You asked, he took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

"there's no easy way of saying this." He began, you frowned and dropped your hands away from him as you were holding his hands. "I need to tell you that this isn't your fault." He tried to hold your hands.

"what do you mean, Lance?" You frowned, your chest tightened.

"i don't mean to hurt you." He spoke, there wasn't a way he could make it easier for him or you he just had to be honest. "I can't give you want you need, you deserve more than I can promise and I've tried to make it easier for you but I don't want your life to stop because of me..." He said softly.

"you're not the one to take decisions for me, Lance, I'm not stopping my life because of you!" You said, he was sure the conversation wouldn't go to plan and that the regret would just follow him around until he found a way to go past it, but even now in the present there was no way of even forgetting it. "are you having feelings for someone else?" You asked directly, the relationship hadn't gone for long at that moment, maybe five months, but there was always the chance.

"I swear to God to you, there's nobody else!" He answered, your eyes began to water.

"then why? we began recently..." You spoke, his heart felt tight.

"when I tell you every feeling I felt was honest and sincere, I'm being completely honest with you and that's what I want, but I think we rushed into this and...made promises we weren't sure we could keep even with me having the chance to pursue my dream and it's not that you're an obstacle but are we sure that we'll survive the long distance?" He asked.

"well... we barely even tried." You said. "Lance just don't do this... can we try?" You asked.

"I won't be able to give you want you want... I'll be barely present, maybe not even present in our anniversaries, I can't keep the promises I made in the beginning and I'm sorry for getting your hopes up but I'm just trying to be honest." He placed his hands softly in your cheeks. "I don't wanna see you cry..." He softly said as he wiped your small tears rolling.