twenty-nine

:)

inez

One day, you walk into a thrift store. A bigger city, more people, you'd expect it to have more of a collection. But all you see are things that are too expensive, things you can't have.

Then there's that one shirt everyone has their eye on but can't afford. Neither can I.

Even if you've been looking at it for so long, you just can't have it. It's not in your fate.

Nothing is possible if it's not meant for you.

We've reached the shore of the ocean, and a small ship that'll take us to Alcatraz, they make us wear these orange life jackets in case we fall into the water. Or jump.

I hate that I'm actually jealous, why is Crystal always trying to find a way to touch him? Why doesn't he do anything?

He's putting the life jacket on her. Is she a child?

While he does so he's looking at me, expecting a reaction out of me. He's not getting one.

"Alright is everyone here? We are about to head to Alcatraz, after five we are leaving!" Our tour guide announces on the megaphone while searching for more people.

Then suddenly a group of four guys step into the ship, it wasn't as huge as a ship but it could fit about fifty people.

After about five minutes, it begins to move and I stand outside in the balcony, watching the waves and sky altogether. It was six pm now so the sky appeared to be different shades of red and orange blended as if you were using oil pastels on a canvas. I couldn't take my eyes off it.

I hear footsteps in the background become louder and louder but I ignore it.

But when I assume it's him, it isn't. I see a different six foot figure stand next to me from the corner of my eye.

"Were you expecting someone else?" The man questions, his voice is hoarse, deeper. But it isn't his.

"Yeah, kinda." I confessed, looking up at the man. He had brown eyes, tan skin and curly hair.

"Matteo." He brings his hand out for me to shake and I do.

"Inez." I give him a small smile.

"What's your ethnicity?" I'm curious so I ask him.

"I'm Mexican. You?"

"No way! Me too, well half."

"You speak Spanish?" Matteo asks me.

"Fluent."

"Seriously?"

"¿Tu no puedes hablar español?" I start speaking Spanish.

"Sí, pero no le sabía que eres tan bueno!"

"Mi mamá me enseño a leer y escribir español. And she was really strict about it." I explained to him.

"For real?"

I nodded, "She didn't let me speak any English at home."

Matteo lets out a chuckle, "She did great."

We spent the rest of the ride to Alcatraz walking around and making small talk. Sometimes he'd swing his arm around my neck or find an excuse to touch me but it didn't give me the same feeling it did when Ronan did the same.

But it didn't matter because he would be here right now if he wanted, but he's with her.

The ship stops in front of the island and everyone slowly steps out into the it. Matteo gives me his hand and I take it, feeling Ronan's gaze on us.