eleven

When detention was over, I locked up and left the building to find Travis leaning against a wall just outside, waiting for me. He straightened up as I blushed and walked over, hooking my purse over my shoulder. 

"So, we're coupley enough?" He murmured when I stopped in front of him.

"I said yes didn't I?" I countered. Travis nodded with a smile. 

"What time works for you?" He asked, and I shrugged, not minding. "Alright, I'm picking you up at seven. And I think we should talk about boundaries, you know, until we're officially dating. Wouldn't want the line to get blurry."

"Okay." I whispered with a nod. It felt really nice that he wanted to talk about that, like he was really taking this seriously. It gave me confidence that he wasn't going to try and push me into anything I wasn't ready for, and I felt myself fall for him further in that moment. "So, are we coupley enough you're going to walk me to my car?" I asked.

"Look at you using incorrect grammar." Travis joked and I rolled my eyes as we fell into step with each other towards the car park. 

"I just did it for you, you'll never hear me say that word again." I informed him.

"Oh come on." He nudged my arm. "Once more. It's funny."

"Nope." I shook my head as he bumped his elbow against mine. "Stop that!" I laughed. "You're such a dork!"

"A dork you're falling for." Travis reminded me as we stopped in front of my car. "I'll see you at seven Miss Swift." He murmured as he took up my hand, kissing my fingers lightly. "Don't think I won't open the door for you this time."

I laughed as he turned and left me standing there, blushing like a young teenager. Unable to stop smiling, I got into my car and sat back, still grinning. After a minute, I grabbed my phone and called Mom. 

"Hi my darling." She answered quickly. 

"Hi Mom." I seriously couldn't stop smiling. Mom chuckled.

"What's up with you? You sound like you've had a very good day."

"I have." I put the phone on speaker in my lap and tilted my chin up slightly like I was smiling at the sky. 

"That's great darling, I'm glad you're sounding so smiley. What's caused it this time?"

"Oh Mom." I sighed happily. "I'm falling in love."

I'd said it, and that four letter word tasted like freedom on my lips. Too soon? Yes. Rushed? Yes. True?

Yes.

I was starting to fall in love with Travis Kelce, a man I hadn't known for very long, but was already hopeless for him. Maybe this was the kind of thing you were supposed to feel. I'd never imagined being swept off my feet was a real thing, but here I was. I knew I had to force myself to take it slowly, but it was incredible knowing he existed. 

"Darling, that's so incredible. I'm so proud of you my girl, you sound so happy." Mom sounded overjoyed. "Tell me about him."

"Travis." I whispered. "The one who called me when I was with you. He's...I know you'd like him Mom. He's so sweet." I blushed. "It's complicated at the moment because we're not actually dating, but we're getting there and I just know I'm going to love him."

"You must bring him to meet me when you're ready Taylor, I want to thank the man who's put that joy back into your voice. I love how happy you sound darling." Mom sounded like she was practically glowing. "You make sure he takes good care of your heart when you decide to give it to him."

"I will." I murmured. "I will."

That evening, I heard Travis' car pull up at exactly one minute to seven. I sucked in a nervous breath, turning to glance at myself in the mirror. I'd gone for a simple black dress that just brushed my ankles, fitting snugly to my body. It wasn't quite winter yet but was getting cold so I'd tucked a white cardigan around my shoulders as well. Nervous while I'd waited for the time to pass, I'd straightened my hair, and it hung long and smooth down my back.