twenty one

When my eyes fluttered open the next morning, Travis' arm was still resting around my waist. We were turned in to face each other, still curled up together in the middle of the bed. He was still asleep, breathing deeply. I smiled to myself as I shifted, stretching my limbs out a little.

I watched Travis sleep for a little while, content where I was lying in his arms. Eventually though, I glanced over at the clock and decided we should probably get up soon. As much as I loved using the holidays to relax and take a break from work, I didn't want to stay in bed the whole time. 

"Travis." I murmured, shuffling a little closer and pressing my lips to the corner of his lips. "Travis." I raised my voice a little as I slipped a hand around his torso onto his back and shook gently.

"Hmm." Travis sighed, shifting. His eyes blinked a few times and then focused on me. "Hey there beautiful, good morning." His voice was rough, husky, and I smiled as he leaned in to give me a slow, warm, lingering kiss. "How'd you sleep?"

"Good." I whispered. "Very good."

"Good." Travis nodded, yawning as he moved his lips to my forehead and lingered there. 

We lay there for a little while as we woke up, and then we got up. Travis found his pants and laughed at me when I stole the shirt he'd been wearing yesterday. We left the bedroom and started making some breakfast. As Travis got some things out, I spotted my phone on the table and reached over, tapping on the screen to check it. Then I frowned, noticing that there were several missed calls and texts that I hadn't seen from last night.

"Everything okay beautiful?" Travis asked as I picked up my phone.

"Mhm." I nodded, distracted as I opened my phone and scrolled down. The calls and texts were all from Ruby - Mom's nurse - and I swallowed nervously as I clicked on the messages. My eyes scanned the multiple messages, and as I read, my blood went cold. I sucked in a breath, tears filling my eyes. "Travis." I whispered. He looked up at me and paused when he saw the look on my face.

"What is it?" He asked.

"It's my Mom." I breathed. "She...she's really sick...something happened."

"Oh, no." Travis breathed. "Beautiful, I'm so sorry. Do you need to go and see her?" I nodded, fighting tears. "Okay." He put whatever he was holding down. "You want me to come with you?"

"Will you?" I whimpered. 

"Of course beautiful, of course." Travis rushed over, taking me in his arms as I collapsed against him. "Oh I'm so sorry this is happening to you." He crooned as I burst into tears. "I'm so sorry beautiful. I'll be right here for you okay?" I nodded, sobbing. "Hey." Travis pulled back and took my face in his hands, wiping my cheeks. "Don't cry beautiful, don't cry. Here's what's going to happen." He stared into my eyes, making sure I was listening. "You're going to get dressed and pack some things in case we're away for a few days. I'll make some food for us to take, and we'll stop by my place so I can grab a few changes of clothes."

"Okay." I whispered, blinking away the last of my tears. 

"Everything's going to be alright, just do one thing at a time." Travis kissed my forehead. I nodded, and he let me go.

I rushed to get dressed, shoving on the first pair of jeans I could find in my boxes and changing my shirt so Travis could have his one back. Searching through my things, I managed to pack enough clothes for a few days and shoved everything into a duffel bag. Grabbing my phone charger, I stuffed that in too and zipped it up. Travis was waiting for me with some food to take, and we wordlessly left. We didn't speak as he drove us to his place, promising he'd only be a minute before ducking inside. While I waited, I called Ruby, but she didn't answer.