eight

"That's him?" Travis asked, and I nodded, pressing my lips together. "What the hell is he doing here?"

"I don't know." I whispered. Surely this was a nightmare. Joe couldn't be here. Not when I'd finally found myself again. "Travis can you give me a minute?" I felt terrible for asking, but I didn't want him here during this.

He just nodded, getting to his feet and letting his gaze linger on me for a long moment before he moved away. Joe came over, taking Travis' vacated seat across from where I sat. We looked at each other, and slowly, I took my arms off the table between us and leaned back. Getting as far away from his as I possibly could at the moment.

"How are you Taylor?" He asked. 

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to talk to you."

"How'd you know I was here?"

"You performed earlier." Joe nodded towards the stage. "Someone took a photo and tagged it with your old album and the location."

"That's stalking Joe." I pointed out. "I don't want to talk to you. I told you I never wanted to see you again."

"Taylor I'm sorry." Joe reached across the table but retracted his hand when I glared at him. "I shouldn't have done what I did. I was drunk, really drunk. It was a mistake. I want you to come home."

"That's not my home anymore Joe, you drove me out of that town." I told him. "You ruined that place for me."

"I can fix things Taylor, I swear I can." He insisted. "We were good together, you know we were. I made you happy."

"You broke my heart."

"I can fix it."

"It doesn't belong to you anymore Joe, it's mine."

"Please Taylor, you don't know what it's been like without you." He begged. "I fucked up. I need you, I love you, and I know you love me. We had a life together Taylor, you can't turn your back on it just like that."

"So you'd have been able to forgive me if I cheated on you?" I tested, leaning forwards slightly. "If you knew I'd waited until you were out of town, invited over a guy I'd promised you was nothing more than a friend, and then fucked him in our bed? You'd have been okay with that?"

I had him there, and we both knew it. Joe fell silent, staring across the table at me. I looked right back at him, the last seven years flashing through my head. The year and a half we'd spent as friends, never knowing we wanted anything more. The first time he'd kissed me on my birthday, begging me to give us a chance. The first time I told him I loved him. The day we moved in together. And the day everything crumbled to pieces when I found out he'd taken me in his arms and told me he'd never loved anyone more while sleeping with someone else behind my back.

"If you love me, you'll let me go." I said quietly. "I did love you, Joe, I loved you more than anything. But you did something I can't forgive, and I'm asking you to let me live my life away from it all. I had to move away from home to feel free, and I'm happy now. I'm asking you to respect that, for me. Let us go."

I begged him with my eyes as he stared at me, looking like he might start crying. I didn't hate him so much anymore, but I resented him for taking all those years away and not having anything to show for it but a few scars on my heart. There was nothing he could say or do to change my mind, not now, not ever. I wanted to move on, and I was.

"I'm sorry Taylor, I really am." He eventually said. 

"I know." I whispered. 

"I love you."