thirty one

Austin and I got back to Philadelphia on Sunday afternoon, and even though we both wished he could stay, he left to go back to New York. He told me he had to talk to Dad again, figure things out. I just nodded, knowing he'd do what he had to, and he'd come back.

Donna texted me right after I got home, inviting me over to her place for dinner since Travis was apparently at a meeting with the scout - Keith. Since Austin had left, I accepted, and I went over just after six. 

"Come in Taylor darling, come in." Donna ushered me inside when she opened the door. I took off my shoes, pushing them to the side as she closed the door. "I thought you might like some company since Travis is out tonight."

"That's exactly what I felt like." I smiled at her as we went down to the kitchen. "You want help with anything?"

"Sure, I'm almost done but you can turn the vegetables." Donna handed me some oven mitts. "So, what did you think about Travis' big news? It's pretty exciting huh?"

"Hmm?" I asked as I bent down to take the tray of vegetables out of the oven. 

"He's just going to love Kansas City. And it's such an honor that they asked him to coach the very team he played for." Donna sighed happily. I nudged the oven closed, placing the tray on the stove and turning to look at her. Kansas City? What was she talking about? Donna kept talking, focused on what she was doing. "I mean, he had no idea that scout was really there for him, not his boys. They weren't going to tell him that he was being considered for the job until they were sure he could do it, but oh, you must be so proud of him." Donna sighed happily. "He might just be the youngest NFL coach in history."

"Y-yeah." I nodded, forcing a smile as Donna looked up at me. "It's really great."

She nodded, smiling. I looked away, grabbing something to turn the vegetables. Travis had taken the job as coach for the Kansas City team? He hadn't mentioned a thing. Kansas City was a seventeen hour drive from here, a three hour flight, states away. It's not like we were married or anything, but I thought maybe he would have talked to me first about it. 

"We're going to miss him so much though." Donna sighed. "You must be thinking about that too."

"Mhmm." I murmured. 

"It's a shame, but sometimes you do have to choose between chasing your dream and staying with your family. I hope you know he doesn't want to hurt you, but this is just something he has to do."

"Yeah, I understand that." I nodded, resting a hand on my stomach.

I got what she meant. Travis had been given the choice between the job of his dreams or staying with me, and he'd picked the job. And he hadn't even told me. 

How could I tell him I was pregnant now? He obviously wanted to move to Kansas City, to take the job, and not with me. Could I take that away from him by telling him about the baby? He'd had his dream ripped away from him once. I wouldn't be the reason it was taken away a second time. 

"Taylor?" Donna touched my shoulder and I let my hand drop to my side. "Are you okay darling?"

"Yeah." I whispered, but a tear dripped down my cheek.

"Oh come here darling, I know." She pulled me close and hugged me. "I know it's not how you thought this would go, but isn't it good he gets his dream back?"

"It is." I sobbed quietly. "I'm just going to miss him." I understood why Travis was doing this, I really did, but god I was going to miss him. He was the love of my life, the only man who had ever made me feel the way I felt about him. And now he was leaving me with his baby, and I couldn't even bring myself to think of telling him and ruining his dream. "You know, Donna, thank you, but I think I'm just going to go home. I'm not feeling well."