nineteen

"You want to hold her?" Travis asked me after a few moments, and I glanced at Kylie for permission, who nodded with an adoring smile as she watched.

"Okay." I whispered.

I tucked my arms around the tiny bundle as Travis placed the baby against my chest, cradling her easily. She shifted slightly as she was passed over but didn't wake and I smiled down at her, lost in the sight of the baby in my arms. I'd always adored babies, but I'd forgotten just how much since I hadn't been around one in so long. But Wyatt, even though I wasn't related to her and hadn't known her family for very long, god, I'd burn the world for her.

"Hi little baby, you're such a darling." I crooned. "You've got such a loving family I hope you know. You're so loved."

Travis kissed the side of my forehead, putting an arm around me as I stood there looking down at the newest addition to my boyfriend's family. I held her for a few minutes before passing her back to Kylie, knowing Kylie probably wanted her most of all. We stayed a little while longer before leaving the new parents to themselves.

"How do you feel?" I asked Travis as we got into his car. "Uncle Travis." I nudged his arm and he smiled at me. 

"God, I feel amazing." He sighed, leaning back. "She's so perfect. We're so lucky. And you." Travis touched my cheek. "You looked so cute holding her." I blushed.

"She's so sweet." I whispered, and he nodded.

"Thank you for coming beautiful, it was so lovely that you were there." Travis stroked my cheek gently. "I know this is all happening kind of fast, you know, dating wise."

"It is." I agreed. "But it works, don't you think?"

"I do think." Travis nodded. "I just wanted to make sure you were doing okay about all of this."

"I'm great." I whispered. "Everything's perfect."

"Perfect." Travis whispered, repeating the word before placing his lips against mine. His kiss lingered, reminding me of the way he'd kissed me earlier before he'd gotten the call to come to the hospital. "You want me to drop you home?" Travis murmured against my lips.

"Mhm." I swallowed, trying to think clearly. "Will you stay with me tonight?" I said before I'd really cleared my mind, blurting it out without thinking. Travis pulled back to look at me, searching my gaze. "Sorry, I didn't mean..." I started, but Travis placed his lips back against mine in a light kiss.

"Of course I will, you'll need some help putting your bed together." He murmured. "Sure you're okay with that?"

We both knew I wasn't just asking him to stay with me. I was kind of glad we'd been able to have this conversation without saying it straight, since it might have been pretty awkward. But Travis and I both knew what tonight meant, and we were both okay with it. I gave him a small nod, and Travis nodded too before kissing me once more. He didn't linger, obviously not wanting to get too carried away.

Travis held my hand the whole drive back to my new apartment, stroking the back of my fingers the whole way. My heart thudded loudly as I unlocked the door and led him inside, hanging up my keys once I'd locked the door behind us. We took off our shoes, moving past the boxes piled in the living room.

"I think this was the box with the slats." Travis murmured.

"I have no idea how to build a bed." I giggled as we figured out where everything was. "I might be pretty useless." I'd done it a few times but always forgot how it worked and had to ask for help.

"Good thing I'm patient." Travis winked at me, and I smiled at him as I tied my hair back into a ponytail to keep it out of the way.

We took all of the bed parts into my new bedroom and Travis showed me how to set everything up on the ground before we started assembling it. As much as I'd hated doing things like this in the past, it was actually a lot of fun doing it with Travis. He was patient, helping me when I wasn't strong enough to do the screws up, holding up the heavier parts so I could put everything together myself.