twenty three

"Hey, beautiful, hey." Travis murmured as I kissed him. "You're upset." He took one hand off my back and took my chin between three fingers, gently forcing me to stop. "Look at me." He urged, and I did, swallowing. "You need to get some rest. You're upset, and you're tired."

"I'm sorry." I mumbled, embarrassed. God, I was such an idiot.

"No, don't apologize. God." Travis shook his head, giving me a small smile. "I just don't want you to get worked up. I would really love to be able to do this with you tonight, but I think with everything...I don't want to take advantage. And I really think you should get some rest." Leaning in, he kissed me softly, slowly. I sighed, leaning against him as I kissed him back gently.

"Okay." I murmured when he pulled back. "I might go to bed." Travis nodded, and I leaned in, resting my head on his shoulder. "Thank you." I mumbled.

Travis kissed my shoulder. I blinked tiredly as I got up, moving off to the spare bedroom. After I brushed my teeth, I tied my hair back and changed before climbing into bed and curling up into a tight ball. I didn't know how long I lay there, but eventually, the door creaked open. Footsteps came over and I rolled over, watching as Travis crouched down next to the side of the bed I lay on.

"Hey beautiful." Travis took my outstretched hand as I reached for him. "I just came to see if you'd rather be alone tonight, or if you want me here with you. I can go and sleep on the couch."

"Please stay with me." I whispered. I needed him.

Travis nodded, letting go of my hand to move over to the other side of the bed. I rolled over as he got in next to me, shuffling over and tucking my face into the curve of his neck. Travis slipped one arm around my back and let me use his other arm as a pillow, kissing my forehead as we settled down. My eyes slipped closed as I relaxed, safe in his arms. 

-

I woke up early the next morning, startled out of sleep by a dream I didn't remember. My eyes flew open and I gasped, sitting up. Travis' arm fell away from my body as I blinked, returning to reality.

Travis remained asleep, shifting onto his back as I got out of bed. Tiptoeing across the hall, I peeked into Mom's room to see her already awake, reading. She lowered her book when she saw me and smiled.

"Morning darling, did you sleep okay?" 

"Yeah." I nodded, going to sit on the edge of her bed. "Did you?"

"I did darling, don't you worry." Mom patted my leg, putting her book down. "I was wondering, how about you and I take a little trip today, for your grandma's birthday? We could take her some flowers and go for a walk."

"I..." I frowned. "Is that today?" Mom nodded. "October fifth." I whispered to myself, and then I lifted my head.

"What is it?" Mom asked.

"It's Travis' birthday today too." I remembered. "He has the same birthday as grandma did." And I'd forgotten. Well, not completely. But everything I'd gotten him for his birthday was at home, not here. I felt terrible. 

"Oh, well you two should go out today." Mom shook her head. "Take him somewhere nice."

"Come with us." I took her hand.

"Oh darling, you two don't want me there..."

"Yes we do." I cut her off. "Come with us Mom, please." I squeezed her hand, and she sighed and nodded with a small smile. "Okay, I need to get some things done before Travis wakes up." Leaning in, I planted a kiss on Mom's cheek before getting up.

Finding my phone, I called a restaurant in town to book a table for tonight. Then I searched the cupboards, getting out all the ingredients to make pancakes. Hoping Travis wouldn't wake up before I was finished, I rushed through the kitchen. A little while later, I flipped a stack of pancakes onto a little plate, drizzled a little syrup on top, placed some carefully cut strawberries in a circle, and stuck a birthday candle in the top.