Chapter Eight

She did a double take when she walked into her dressing room after the final show of the weekend to find Lando sat there on the sofa waiting for her.

He looked her up and down, those eyes feeling like they could just cut straight through the facade she'd put on for the rest of the world.

"How are you doing?" He asked, getting up and closing the distance between the two of them. His hand found its way to her chin, tilting her head up to look at him as though he might find the answer to his question in her eyes.

"How was the race? Why are you not out celebrating?" She deflected, realising for the first time what day it was.

"It was fine, not one of the best but not the worst either." He shrugged it off. "I was worried about you."

"I'm fine." She said quickly. "I'm sorry I didn't call you back."

He was still standing a little bit too close to her, peering down at her like he was waiting for something. "It doesn't matter, but how are you... really?"

She felt her lip quiver and she willed herself to hold it together. "I made it through the shows." Was all she could offer. There were no words to convey how the inside of her head was feeling.

"You did." He nodded. He'd turned up in time to catch the end of it. Had he not have already known that she was falling apart inside he'd never have been able to tell. The crowd danced and sung, clapping and screaming as they had the time of their lives, completely unaware that Hannah was sacrificing her sanity to give it her all for them.

She closed the little bit of remaining distance between the two of them and buried her face in his chest as her eyes began to fill with tears. "I missed you." She mumbled against his chest. His strong arms wrapped around her, the feeling of safety helping to quiet her racing mind.

"I missed you too." He whispered against the top of her head. It was a dangerous line they were walking. She was an absolute mess, still undeniably hung up on whatever had happened with her ex. Yet he found himself drawn to her, missing her even though they weren't really together. He'd been off his game all day because he'd been too busy worrying about her.

"It's going to get easier, right?" She whispered. "I don't know if I can take much more of this."

He wanted to say yes, but he didn't want to lie to her either. "What are you doing between now and the next lot of shows?"

"I don't know yet. Cassie says I need to go out and do some things to prove I'm okay and shut the rumours down." She mumbled unhappily. The thought of having to go out in public made her feel physically sick. It was one thing with Lando there to protect her but she couldn't remember the last time she'd gone out in public on her own.

"Come to Monaco with me?" He offered. "I'm flying home in..." he glanced at his watch. "Four hours, come and stay at mine and clear your head a bit. We can go out for dinner or something to keep Cassie happy if you want to."

She pulled back a fraction and looked up at him. "Are you serious?"

He nodded. "I'd love you to come with me." His stomach flipped nervously as he waited for her to answer. The idea of having a whole week, just the two of them was intoxicating. Potentially not the best idea for his attempt not to get any more invested in this thing between the two of them, but intoxicating nonetheless. Besides, he knew he'd find the week a lot more restful if he could actually see her to know she was doing okay.

"Okay." She smiled, and it was the first genuine smile he'd seen on her face in days. "Let's do it!"

"You might need to get changed first." He laughed, looking down at the sparkly body suit she was wearing.