It wasn't a bad day

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing incessantly. Groaning, I reached for it and saw that it was my boss calling. I hesitated for a moment before answering, knowing that it was probably bad news.

"How's your day going?" My boss asked with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"Well, no one died." I replied, half-jokingly.

"Those are your standards?" He chuckled. "Listen, we've got a problem. We're short-staffed and we need you to come in today."

I sighed. I had been looking forward to having a day off, but I knew that my boss wouldn't be calling me if it wasn't urgent.

"Alright, I'll be there in an hour." I said before hanging up.

As I got ready, I couldn't help but think about how my life had turned out. I had dreamt of becoming a successful writer or an artist, but instead, I found myself working at a dead-end job that I hated.

I drove to work, dreading the day ahead of me. But as I walked through the doors, I realized that maybe my day wasn't so bad after all. I was surrounded by people who were happy to see me, and I knew that I was making a difference in their lives.

So maybe my standards weren't so low after all. Maybe it was just a matter of perspective.