Chapter 10:The End of Reaping

Frank's POV

After the Hermes tributes, Dionysus walks up on the stage.

"Since Poseidon only has one true half-blood child, yada yada, some other one of you brats will take that place. Yippee. Let's see who the not so lucky contender is."

He unravels a wrinkled piece of paper.

"Reyna Ramírez Arellano, daughter of Bellona."

A girl with long black hair and wearing a purple shirt walks up to the stage. Images rush through my mind, the same girl holding a dagger as I talk to her, she riding a Pegasus amid a battlefield, her red stained eyes as she wipes a bloody knife over a still horses body.

Dionysus continues his speech.

"Now, seeing that I only have male children, blah blah blah, there will be no ladies and all. So, Pollux and Castor, come on down."

Two boys walk up and stand next to their dad, who walks away.

Zeus calls up the very last god to pick, Hades. The room seems to darken when he walks up.

"The female tribute for me is Hazel Levesque."

A girl with dark skin and dark hair walks up. Her golden eyes meet mine and I'm pulled into a flashback.

(A/N this belongs to Rick)

We are standing in a boat, debris swirling around us.

"Wh-where are we?" I ask.

"It's my past," Hazel says calmly. "It's just an echo. Don't worry."

The boatman turns around and grins at us. "'Coarse you shouldn't worry. Told you id take you across, didn't I? 'Sall right you don't have a coin. Wouldn't be proper, leaving Pluto's daughter on the wrong side of the river."

The boat slides onto the shore and we climb off. We meet three black-robed figures.

"Who-" I whimper.

"They'll decide my fate," she said. "Watch."

"Thwarted Gaea. Prevented Alcyoneus from waking," the first judge says.

"But she raised the giant in the first place. Guilty of cowardice, weakness," the second judge argues.

"She is young," the third judge says. "Her mothers life hung in the balance."

"My mother. Where is she? What is her fate?"

The judges look at her. "Your mother..."

The image of Marie Levesque shimmers above the judges. She was frozen in time, hugging Hazel as the cave collapsed, her eyes shut tight.

"An interesting question. The division of fault."

(A/N ok, to be honest, I'm getting bored right now. I'll skip forward to the Fields of Asphodel. This is after the nice talk they have.)

"I'm sorry, Frank no think your mother was wrong. Sometimes sharing a problem doesn't make it easier to carry," she says.

"But it does." I take a wooden stick from my pocket. "In fact...since we've for eternity to talk, there's something I want to tell you."

Hazel frowns at the piece of wood.

"What is... Phineas said your life depends on a burned stick-"

"It's true. This is my lifeline, literally."

I explain how Juno appeared when I was a baby. "Grandmother said I had the gifts-some talent we got from our ancestor, the Argonaut. That and my dad's being Mars... I'm supposed to be too powerful or something. That's why my life can burn up so easy. Iris said I would die holding this, watching it burn."

"Frank, how can you carry it around with you? Aren't you terrified something will happen to it?"

"That's why I'm telling you. I know it's a lot to ask, but would you keep it for me?"

She hesitates and stares at my piece of firewood.

"Frank, you know who I am. I'm Pluto's daughter. Everything I touch goes wrong. Why would you trust me?"

"Because you're my best friend. I trust you more than anybody."

She takes it and puts it in her pocket. A shadow falls over us.

"Our ride is here," I announce.

Just before the flashback fades, I see a familiar pale face looming above mine.