Chapter 13: Cornucopia

Jason's POV

The games have begun with a literal bang.

Only 1 tribute that I can see is dead, lying motionless on the grass. My sister has disappeared into the woods, leaving me behind. But I don't think it was on purpose. I think she thought I was right behind her. But I'm stuck here with the few others who have started to call themselves "careers".

So far, the careers consist of Mitchell Keely, son of Demeter; Taylor Leer, son of Aphrodite; Michael Gilman, son of Athena;Claire Rosenwood, daughter of Hephaestus; and Clarisse la Rue, daughter of Ares.

From what I can figure out, Michael is the brains, Taylor is the defense, Clarisse and Mitchell are the offense, and Claire is just dangerous. She is currently holding an axe and scowling at one of the entrances. I can tell she's clever, since it was her idea to put a land mine in one entrance, a fiery booby trap in another. We know where to step, but no one else does.

"Hey, man, we're going to go play a game called "Kill the little Tributes". Wanna come?" Mitchell asks.

I force myself into a smile.

"Sure".

"Great. Choose any weapon, we've got them all," he gestures his arm to the backpacks and food littered around us.

I pick up a golden blade and walk towards the land mine exit. Mitchell, Claire, and I step gingerly around the mine.

Claire points in a direction and we head that way. I hope we don't find anyone. I'm only sticking with these savages for safety and food.

I hear leaves crackling in a direction. Claire's head swivels that way and she smiles.

"I think I just found someone," she says.

"Let's go," says Mitchell.

Everyone else starts jogging in that direction and I follow. They're screaming with joy when they catch sight of a young girl.

She looks about 13 with curly hair. Her skin is dark and her eyes are gold. She looks at us like a deer caught in headlights.

"Who do we have here? A little girl wandering alone in the woods? That's not safe at all," Mitchell says in a casual voice.

Claire giggles at the comment, still holding her axe in front of her.

"We should help her, shouldn't we?" Mitchell says to us.

"Oh, definitely. I would hate for her to get...lost," Claire says with a coy grin.

Mitchell throws a knife in the girl's direction. She dodges it and holds out a sword at us.

"Stay away," she says with a surprisingly even voice.

"Not a chance," Mitchell smirks. "You're mine now, little girl."

He throws another knife, which she deflects with her sword, sending it near me. I dive to the ground and it misses me.

Claire charges at the girl with her axe. She swings and the girl takes a step back. Claire swings again and this time, it nicks her side. The girl grimaces in pain while Claire grins with victory.

Claire advances in for the kill when my blade is torn from my grip. So is Claire's axe. They land at the girl's feet.

Who is her godly parent?

"I said to stay back," she says.

Hades. She's a daughter of Hades.

"We'll be back for you, little girl. And next time we won't be as merciful," Mitchell spats at her.

Claire and Mitchell turn back around and head towards the cornucopia.

I stare at the girl, waiting for her to do something to me. She surprises me when she throws my sword back.

"Keep it and use it next time."

I slowly nod.

"I'm Jason, by the way."

"I know who you are. Everyone does. Jason Grace, son of Zeus. Came into the parade on a flying chariot."

"Didn't you have a chariot completely black, that had gems on it?" I ask.

"Yes. I'm Hazel Levesque. You should catch up with your friends," she says distastefully.

I glance behind me and realize that Mitchell and Claire are out of sight.

"They're not really my-"

I turn back around and Hazel is gone. Back into the safety of the forest.

I wipe off my sword of dirt and warily go back to the cornucopia.