Chapter 23: Fight

Percy's POV

We are still looking for Piper with no success. A part of me wonders if she died today, if we're looking in vain. But I don't want to tell that to Annabeth. It's the only thing keeping her going.

She stumbles and catches herself at the last second.

"Do you need a break?" I ask her, concerned.

"I'm fine, Percy," she insists.

"Well, I need a break." I plop down to prove my point. She smiles a little and sits down next to me.

I offer her some water and she accepts it. We gaze around at the trees, making sure no one is hiding behind them. When I'm sure it's safe, I take Annabeth's hand.

"You must want to find Piper pretty badly," I note.

"I don't know. She was nice, but I don't know why I want to find her so bad. I mean, I just met her. It should be easy for me to let her be."

I nod my head. It's strange what these games do to us. They make us trust someone, then take them away.

"We should keep going," Annabeth says, standing up.

"You're the boss."

We trek forward. I see a wall in front of us, meaning that we're near the Cornucopia. I motion for Annabeth to stay where she is as I walk forward. Annabeth ignores me and follows. I glare at her and she returns it. I finally let her come.

Near the Cornucopia are two boys and two girls. One boy has short black hair and the other has blonde hair and a scar above his lip. One girl has mousy brown hair while the other has red hair and brown eyes. The blonde haired boy and the girl with red hair are the two that I encountered earlier.

"Hey Jason, do a quick border patrol!" The boy with dark hair yells. The blonde haired boy reluctantly grabs a sword and heads over to us. I unsheath my sword and Annabeth grips her knife. The boy, Jason, doesn't see us until he's right in front of us.

He starts to yell, but Annabeth clamps her hand on his mouth.

"Say one word and you'll be dead before you can finish it, understood?" Annabeth says through clenched teeth.

Jason nods his head.

"Good."

I go behind him and put my sword to his back. Annabeth is the leader here, I won't barge in.

We lead him to a grove far enough away so that the others won't hear us.

"Tell us what we want to know and you won't get hurt," Annabeth threatens Jason.

"I don't really know much about their plans, but okay."

"How much food do you have?"

"Um, all of it. And I don't have any on me, if that's your next question."

"How much is all of it?"

"Yeah, tell us," a new voice cuts in.

Two girls enter the grove. One has black hair with red tips and the other has brown/blonde hair.

"Let's get these introductions over with. I'm Percy, that's Annabeth, and this here is Jason."

"I'm Ari and that's Bella."

Bella elbows Ari.

"We're not all freaking friends, don't go introducing as if it's the first day of school!"

Ari mutters an apology.

"Well, nice meeting you two, but we have some business to take care of, have a nice day," I say, hoping that they will leave.

They don't fall for it.

"No can do. See, we're wanting to win this thing. The way you win is by killing the other tributes. You are other tributes. You die. See how that works? It isn't that complicated and I'm sure that if you don't understand it, your girlfriend can explain it to you later," Bella says, raising a knife.

Then the unexpected happens. The careers come running into the grove, throwing knives everywhere. One here, one there, one in front of my shoe. It's a mess.

Jason runs over to join them and they turn towards us. I stand near Bella, who throws a knife at me. So much for a common enemy. I dodge it and go back to back with Annabeth.

Ari shoots an arrow at Mitchell and misses. Bummer for us. Bella throws a knife at Annabeth; hooray for us! I take a jab at ole Jason who returns the blow. We parry for a bit before I disarm him. His sword goes flying and he backs away slowly.

Lucky for him, Claire comes into the scene with all of her good old fashioned knife throwing fun!

How did so many people get so many knives? You'd think there was a sale at the Knife Department Store, buy one million knives, get the second million free!

I deflect Claire's first knife. She reaches for a second when Annabeth intercepts her and they start fighting with their knives.

There's a stinging in my back and I see a knife poking out. Bella stands there with a smile, already raising another knife.

Before she can throw it, a cannon booms. I turn around to make sure Annabeth is okay. She is.

The girl, Ari, is laying on the ground, motionless, in front of Mitchell. His sword is bloody and raised above her. He smiles in victory.

Bella releases a scream and throws herself at him.

"That was my ally, my friend! You killed her, you murdered her!"

Bella cuts him everywhere, his leg, his hand, his left cheek. Mitchell falls on the ground and curls into a ball.

I take Annabeth's hand and we run into the depth of the woods.