Chapter 32: Promise

Get your tissues ready. This one may or not be worse than Bianca's chapter. Tell me in the comments which one was worse.

Annabeth's POV

It's around the middle of the afternoon and it is down pouring. It started without warning, one minute it was a blue sky, the next rain was coming down in sheets, leaving Thalia, Luke, and I to find shelter under a tall tree.

Luke is shivering from whatever sting him. He keeps shouting at hallucinations, telling them that he never broke his promise. Thalia is as far away from him as she can be. She's angrily stabbing the ground with a hunting knife.

I'm sitting next to Luke, holding his hand. He's been getting worse all day and I'm worried about him. Really worried.

"I didn't do anything to hurt them!" He shouts for the hundredth time.

"Shh, it's okay Luke," I whisper.

His blue eyes are wild, jerking left and right. I take his hand and hold it. I can't get the flashback I had back at Olympus out of my head. Luke stabbing himself with a knife, me just sitting there. Not doing anything to stop him.

"Annabeth," Luke says, his voice back to normal.

I jump with surprise before looking back down at him.

"Luke, how are you feeling?"

"Horrible. Listen to me-"

"Luke!" Thalia shouts, running over towards us.

"Thalia, Annabeth, you have to listen to me."

"We will, Luke. But first you have to eat," Thalia insists, shoving berries into his mouth.

Luke tries to talk, but all that happens is a few berries fall out of his mouth. I giggle a little, then stop myself. I don't giggle.

He swallows, then tries again. "Guys, this is important. Life or death important. Just listen-"

Lightning strikes the tree, almost hitting us.

"Oh no you don't," Thalia mutters.

She furrows her brows in concentration. After a minute, she points in a direction.

"That way," she says. "Stay here, Luke."

Thalia and I quietly stand up. I grab my knife and she grabs her spear. We leave the tree and immediately I see three other shadows.

The one in front is holding a sword. To the right it looks like a girl who is holding a knife. And to the left of the first boy is another boy holding a hammer.

"Alright, funs over, little brother," Thalia says.

"What do you mean?" I hiss at her.

"Relax, it's just my brother and his friends. Nothing to be worried about."

"Annabeth?" A voice says from the group.

I turn and see the girl leave the shadows. It's Piper.

"Piper!" I exclaim, running towards her. "Oh my gods, I tried to find you, but I couldn't. How have you been?"