Chapter 14: Ally

Hazel's POV

Jason turns around and I silently turn back into the forest. I only got a back-pack when the games first begun and it doesn't hold much in it.

The blood from axe the girl with blonde hair hit me with is coming through my jacket. It hurts like crazy.

I reach a clearing with a small pool of water that a deer is drinking out of. I dump an empty water bottle from my pack into the lake. I take a deep sip and apply some water to my wound.

The water kills the fire of my cut a little. I scan the area around me. No one else is here. I see a high enough tree where I'll be hidden in the branches and I start to climb it.

When I'm halfway up, I hear a voice.

"I know you're up there," it calls up to me.

I peek down and see a boy with shaggy black hair, dark eyes and pale skin. He's looking at me and I sigh and begin to climb down.

"I don't suppose you want to kill me?" I ask him.

"Of course I don't, Hazel. You're my sister.

A random flash of pain in my head brings light to my eyes. I rub my forehead and look at him.

"Nico, right?"

His eyes flash with a sadness deeper than I've ever seen before.

"Yeah, that's me."

He shoulders a back pack awkwardly. His is bigger than mine.

"What's in there?" I ask, already taking mine off.

I dump the contents on the ground and Nico follows my example. Together, we have two coils of rope, three empty bottles, two of which are empty, one sleeping bag, two pairs of sunglasses, two pocketknives, a dozen darts, and a dart gun. Plus, we both have our swords. Nico has a black sword, one that he calls Stygian Ice. Mine is a regular spatha.

We split up our supplies as even as we can.

"We should probably find some food. I'll go out looking, will you be fine here alone?" Nico asks me with worry in his eyes.

"I'll be fine. Bring me back something good," I call out after him.

I drink a little bit more of the water and lay down against the tree. It's actually quite peaceful here, which doesn't make any sense. Anyone could come here any more ute and kill me.

As if someone could hear my thoughts, three girls emerge from the greenery. All are holding bows.

I immediately stand up, but I get woozy. I fall right back down.

The girls run over to me, as if they think I'm already dead. Two have their dark hair in braids, and the other has hair way too short to be in a braid.

"I fear that thy is almost gone," one girl says.

"She's still alive, but just barely," another girl with long dark hair says.

"We need to help her," the girl with short hair says firmly.

"Isn't thy point of this game to murder others?" The first girl asks.

"Yes, but she's technically my sister," the second girl replies.

"She could be useful, looks like she has a bulging back pack," says the last girl.

"Alright. We shall bring her back to our base."

One girl picks me up easily as another girl takes my back pack. I'm too weak to protest. I'm too weak to tell them that I'm waiting for Nico.

All I hear is a voice, so familiar. And a piece of charred wood floats through my mind.

Because you're my best friend. I trust you more than anybody.

Then the world dissolves into darkness.