Chapter 37: Light

Frank's POV

When the darkness came, I ran for my life. Luckily, Hazel was already safe at the cornucopia when I found her.

I never knew Bella. She was just another tribute to me. But a few others, like Percy, are affected by her suicide.

Light fills the arena the same time a canon goes off. The sky seems to fall apart and chariots descend.

"Demigods, you are the survivors of the Demigod Games. Get on the chariots and we will explain everything on Olympus."

I glance over at Hazel. She looks so small against the golden cornucopia. She shrugs her shoulders, the universal sign for 'I don't know'.

"I guess we're going on a chariot ride," Percy announces.

I immediately start moving, naturally following Percy. I'm surprised to find that I trust him and his judgement.

Clarisse is already on a chariot that's obviously the chariot of Ares. It's blood red and has a boars head on the front. She's scowling as I walk cautiously towards her. She was trying to kill us a few minutes ago, I don't want to be killed midair.

"I'm not going to kill you, punk," Clarisse says in a bored voice. "The games are over, if you noticed."

"I didn't think they were just games to you," I say hesitantly.

"I did what I had to. So did you, I'm guessing by the look on your face."

I ignore her. "I don't know what you're talking about, Clarisse. Let's just get out of here."

The chariot moves forward suddenly, and we're soon flying. I want to be near Hazel, but she's far behind me. What's going to happen to us on Olympus? Will it be good or bad?

My stomach groans, seeing as I haven't eaten for two days. Hopefully we'll get food and water. And a shower. Gods of Olympus, I need a shower. Maybe some alone time with Hazel, then I'd be golden.

The minute my chariot passes where the arena used to end, I get a sharp feeling behind my eyes. Memories fill my head.

I'm much younger and my mother is telling my stories of my ancestors. I'm shooting tea cups in my backyard, angry at the death of my mom. Camp Jupiter's war games, where I always teamed up with Hazel. Praetor Reyna issuing commands. Percy arriving and jointing our cohort. Our quest, freeing Thantos with the fire of my life. Fighting in the House of Hades, and getting separated from Hazel in the process. Me becoming praetor. Hazel kissing me on the cheek, and then full on the lips. Always me and Hazel at the center of it all.

Olympus looms at us and the chariots begin to descend. There's a large crowd below us, next to lanes set up for our landing.

My red chariot thumps on the ground, rattling my bones.

"Anyone who is injured, go to the right, or just raise your hand and we'll help you," a naiad announces. Annabeth raises her hand, as does Jason. "And anyone who is in need of food, follow me."

I look for Hazel among the small crowd of survivors. I finally find her, and rush to her side. She pats my arm absentmindedly, as if not registering that I'm there.

"I'm worried about Nico," Hazel whispers. "He seems different."

I kiss her forehead gently. "Maybe he's the same, and we're just different. At least he'll be safe, now. No more sudden death that could occur at any second."

The naiad leads us to a large buffet set up in the middle of the throne room. The thrones aren't occupied at the moment, and it would be strange if they were. Unless the gods like to watch starved demigods eating.

"Help yourselfs," the naiad says. And we do.

We all rush towards the food like wild animals. Luckily, there's plenty of it. I fill my plant with fruit and a steak, along with water to drink.

Annabeth and Jason walk in, finished getting healed. They join Percy and Piper, just as I knew they would.

Hazel sits next to me, eating as well. Gods, it tastes so good.

My memories are back, yet I never knew they were missing. Something was wrong before, I could tell, but it's different now. I remember.

With a flash of light, the gods suddenly appear in their thrones. I stop eating, dropping my fork in the process. It makes a loud noise, and many look over at me.

"Sorry," I mumble.

"Demigods, I know what you've been through," Zeus starts. "And I know you aren't happy about it. But we're here to explain."