Chapter 34: Find You

This chapter will be terribly boring at first. Annabeth feels guilty and sad and depressed blah blah blah.

Annabeth's POV

With Luke now dead, there are only thirteen demigods left in the games. And I'm one of them. So is Percy. We still stand, even though we're apart.

I thought it would be impossible to live without him, like somehow, I wouldn't be able to breathe without him next to me. But I can. I feel guilty for functioning. Yes, I'm broken on the inside. Yes, I want to cry my heart out until it stops hurting. I can still feel a lingering sense of love, left over from him from just a little bit ago. Silent love is calling faith.

The rain continues to pour down. Thalia left hours ago and she hasn't returned. A part of me believes that she went to kill herself. A cannon hasn't yet sounded, so she must still be alive

I feel terrible guilt. Yesterday, I saw Percy and acted as if we were perfect strangers. I left him to go see Luke. Sure, Luke was dying and then he did die, but I gave Percy no explanation, nothing.

Every time my heart beats, it beats his name.

I think of the last time I kissed Percy. The way his lips felt, so soft, shaping around my own. The way he held me, strong, yet gentle. He didn't act as if I would break in his presence. He held me like he was the one breaking and needed to hold on to something stable, something there. He held on to me. I waited for me to break, to shatter me through his hallways. But I didn't. Percy makes me stronger. He makes me feel as if I've been sleeping my entire life and with one look, he woke me up. His touch electrifies me and fills me with an energy that I can't define.

I suppose everyone in love feels this way. I don't know if you could consider the two of us in love as much as broken.

Luke's body is gone, taken away by someone. Or something. Not that it matters. In the end, he would have killed himself just to secure the safety of Thalia. Thalia was all he ever really wanted, in the end. The way they had kissed right before he died made me feel so bitterly alone. Percy probably believes that I hate him. He most likely doesn't care anymore if I die or not. I hurt him. The only thing he should want is to hurt me. I cast him aside just to join two who abandoned me in the end. I can still feel the pain of Luke dying, raw. Somehow, the pain of leaving Percy is worse, shaping into echoes I can feel and rehearse the way I heal.

In the distance, I hear a loud shout. Before, I would have gathered my supplies quickly and fled the scene, knife in hand, running through the rain. Now, I stay seated on the fallen tree log. At least when someone kills me, the pain will be gone.

I hear a girl's voice, yelling at someone else. The other person replies and I hear it.

It's just a scrap of his voice, but I know, deep down, that it's him. He is here.

I hastily stand up and grab my dagger. I silently creep forward. I turn back around and see my bag, laying on the forest floor. It seems wasteful to leave it there. I pick it up and continue to walk towards the voices.

"-you think happened?" The girl's voice asked.

"I don't know, Bella. She didn't seem like herself," Percy says.

Is he with the other girl? There's a twisting feeling in my heart, cold and bitter. It would serve me right. I left him with no reason whatsoever and I expected him to just wait for me.

"And a cannon sounded last night. That's never a good sign," the girl, Bella, says.

"I know," Percy says, his voice incredibly tired.