Chapter 37

"Bam Bam."

Brandon turned away from his computer and smiled, "Hey Pebbles," he murmured as she walked toward him and sat on his lap sideways wrapping her arms around his neck. He kissed her forehead, "You okay?"

"Mhmm," she hummed softly as she pressed into him a little more. "Just hug."

"Okay," he smiled as he turned back to his laptop. "I'll hug you anytime you want. I'm proud of you for coming to me when you need me, Pebbles."

"What are you doing?" She murmured into his neck after a few moments.

"Just looking at something," he replied vaguely. She tilted her head back and he smirked, "I don't want to upset you, Pebbles, so don't ask. I can't and more importantly won't ever lie to you. So don't make this hard on either one of us and please don't ask."

She sat up straighter and looked into his eyes, searching, "You're looking for the bad doctor," she whispered after a few moments.

He closed his eyes and let out a heavy sigh through his nose. "Yes, Pebbles, I am."

"How?" she asked curiously.

"The DNA you gave us is being searched through the whole database," he replied honestly. "Corey gave me a transcript of your flashback in the hospital. You called him a Nazi and said he had green eyes and night hair and oil. You also called him Scarface. I'm going through the images and narrowed it down to Germans with black hair and green eyes that have scars on their face."

"Let me see," she inhaled sharply.

"No," he shook his head. "I don't want you to get upset."

"Show me, Bam Bam," she said with more intensity. He shook his head again, "Brandon, show me right now," she glared at him. "I know what he looks like, I can help." She cupped his cheek and smiled softly, "I'll be okay because I'm with you, Bam Bam. I can help and still be safe here in your arms. Let me help, please?"

He sighed but nodded, "Alright but the moment I think it's getting to be too much–"

"I'll stop," she nodded, "I promise." He huffed but turned her around so her back was against his chest. He wrapped his arm around her waist and kissed her shoulder when he felt her fingers lace with his. He scooted them closer to his desk then used his free hand and opened the program back up.

The images of the men started to load and he held his breath as he watched her eyes start to scan over the faces. He slowly started breathing again as he watched her eyes narrow in serious concentrations as she scrutinized the men before her.

The minutes ticked by as she scrolled through the images. After almost an hour she huffed in annoyance, "he's not in here, Bam Bam."

"That's okay," he said as he kissed her back. "At least you tried."

"Wait," she pouted as she turned to face him better, "how can his picture not be in the hospital registry, Brandon? It has to be."

He frowned, "What do you mean, Pebbles?"

"He works at the hospital, right?" she frowned. She hopped up and grabbed his hand, "Come on, where's Doc Sean?"

"Sleeping in his room," Brandon said as he followed behind her. "Doc needs his sleep, Pebbles, we can ask Corey or Mr. B."

"I'm not sleeping," Sean said as he came out of the living room. "What's going on?"

"His picture isn't in the hospital registry, Doc," she pouted. "Why isn't it in there? It's supposed to be in it, isn't it, Doc?"

"Slow down, Pookie," Sean shook his head. "Explain it better to me, please?"

She let out an irritated huff and tugged on Brandon's arm, "Bam Bam..."

"I got this, Pebbles," He chuckled as he pulled her into his side. "I was looking through images based on her flashback and she wanted to help Doc. She didn't see him in the hospital registry."

"Well, we do have visiting doctors that come and help occasionally," Sean trailed off. "They wouldn't be on the registry since they aren't permanent doctors. They would be on a roster though. Every doctor and nurse has to have their picture taken, even if they are just visiting." He turned to face her directly, "We would have to go to the hospital for you to go through it though, Jade. It's not on the database yet so you would have to go through the roster book in person."

"No," Corey demanded as he walked into the room. "There has to be another way."

"I'm okay, Corey," she said as she turned to face him. "I want to do this."

"No," Corey shook his head. "It's not safe. We don't know who this asshole is."

"What if his picture is in that book?" She asked as she walked to him. "I know what he looks like, I can help. I want to help. And I'll be safe," she smiled as she slipped her hands into his, "you'll be right there with me. I won't be alone and I'll just be looking at some pictures." She shrugged, "It's just a book. No harm ever came from reading a book."

He scoffed and raised an eyebrow, "did you forget what happened when Eevie read from the book in The Mummy, Sweetheart?"

It was her turn to scoff and roll her eyes, "That's a movie, this is real life. What could happen from me looking at some pictures in a book?"

He cupped her jaw and stared into her eyes, "You don't leave our side for a second, understood?" She nodded and he tightened his grip just ever so slightly. "You try and leave our sight for one millisecond and your ass will be so red you won't be able to sit for a week, got it?"

A soft whimper left her mouth, "Yes, Daddy."

"Good girl. Now get your ass in that car. The sooner you look at those pictures, the sooner you can get back home where you belong."