chapter 25

_

_

Taehyung's fingers paused over his phone as Eleanor's message appeared on the screen. "I'm having dinner; you can join if you want."

He glanced around the bustling ballroom. With Jungkook still nowhere in sight, a flicker of worry gnawed at Taehyung's insides.

What if Jungkook's father had lashed out again? Taehyung's chest tightened with guilt as he berated himself for not intervening sooner.

 As he scanned the ballroom, his search for Jungkook became more urgent with each passing moment. Dinner plans now felt insignificant compared to the need to ensure Jungkook's well-being.

With a growing sense of unease, he made his way towards the back of the ballroom, his phone already in hand.

The night air was cool against Taehyung's skin as he stepped outside, the darkness of the garden enveloping him. He dialled Jungkook's number, his footsteps quickening as he moved further away from the bustling ballroom.

The phone rang and rang, but there was no answer. Taehyung's eyes darted around the garden. The soft glow of moonlight illuminated the scene, casting eerie shadows among the trees.

Sighing in frustration, Taehyung considered returning inside to seek help from Lisa. But just as he turned to leave, something caught his eye—a flash of white fabric peeking out from behind a nearby tree.

His mind raced with worry for Jungkook, wondering why he was sitting alone in the darkness and if it was really Jungkook.

Soft grass cushioned Taehyung's steps as he descended the few stairs of the garden, the cool night air wrapping around him like a comforting embrace. His gaze was fixed on the specific tree.

As he approached, Taehyung could make out Jungkook's figure leaning against the tree trunk, bathed in the soft glow of the moon and stars.

With a relieved sigh and without a word, Taehyung pocketed his phone and walked towards him, his footsteps silent against the grass.

Pushing aside Jungkook's shoes with a gentle nudge of his own, Taehyung settled himself beside him, their shoulders brushing in the darkness.

Jungkook didn't look up, his gaze fixed on his lap as he wiped his cheeks.

A pang of sorrow tugged at Taehyung's heart as he realised Jungkook was crying. He followed Jungkook's gaze to his left hand, which clenched an empty beverage bottle tightly.

Gently, Taehyung pried Jungkook's fingers away from the bottle, setting it aside with a soft sigh. He turned to Jungkook, his own heart heavy with worry. "What happened?" he asked softly, his voice a soothing presence in the night.

Jungkook remained silent for a moment, his eyes still fixed on his lap. Then, in a quiet and rough voice, he spoke. "Dad scolded me."

Taehyung's heart clenched at the pain in Jungkook's voice. Without hesitation, he reached out and took Jungkook's hand in his own, giving it a gentle squeeze. "You can tell me what happened exactly," he said, his voice filled with empathy and understanding.