☠︎︎ 25. Sacrifice ☠︎︎

— he'll find you one day

and I hope till then, you will be well

he has something his always was

but for you, he doesn't mind its loss —

Kim's mother. The woman who took care of Chay is Kim's mother... the same mother Kim had been looking so long for, the same mother Kim had lost so long ago. It had to be her. It would be too much of a coincidence if this woman, in front of Chay, meant some other Kim, some other Kim she hadn't seen in so long time, some other Kim who should have been the same age as Chay.

Slowly, Chay looked at the woman, debating with himself whether he should ask, but yes... yes, he should. Maybe, somehow he could take her with him or at least the moment he'd be back with Kim, he'd tell him where his mother is and how the island looks and all the other things he'd hopefully find out before leaving again.

"Excuse me, I'm sorry, but did you say that your son is called Kim... as in short for Kimhan?"

The woman was holding a small ceramic bowl full of ointment she used on Chay's back, but the moment those words left Chay's mouth, the bowl dropped to the floor and the woman's hands were already grasping Chay as she was looking at him with the kind of hope he hadn't seen in her eyes before.

"Do—do you know him? Do you know my son? Is he alright? Is he doing well? Where is he?"

Chay smiled, "he is looking for you. He has been looking for you since the day they have taken you. Have you ever heard about The Phantom of a Pirate?"

The eyes of Kim's mother turned from hope to a bit of fear and recognition. So, she heard about her son, she just didn't know it was her son. Slowly, she nodded.

"The Phantom of a Pirate is your son," Chay said. "He has joined a pirate crew the day you were taken away from him. He had thought that if he became a pirate, he'd have better chances to get you back. I know that maybe a pirate isn't something you ever wanted your son to be, but let me tell you that he is a bloody amazing one! You don't have to fear the name Phantom of a Pirate. Only those who did Kim wrong have to. He wants to find a treasure your captor is looking for and exchange it for you. But with or without the treasure, you and your son will meet again. Now when I met you, I'm sure of it!"

"My son... you really know my son," Kim's mother let one tear roll down her hollow cheek, but she couldn't allow herself more than that. She couldn't let anyone see that something made her emotional. That the boy she had never seen before told her something, which gave her so much hope to continue surviving, reassuring her that everything she had endured so far was worth it, after all.