3

Slowly, the kids filed into my English class. They chatted as they came in the door, talking about random stuff. I didn't really listen in on their conversations too intently. I just looked down at my desk and doodled across my paper, waiting for class to start. At some point, I was tapped on the shoulder and I turned to see my friend's face. He smiled and said,

"So, you wanna be my partner for the English project?"

"Well, yeah." I laughed. "I don't really know anyone else in this class, you know." I responded. He laughed and gave me a look of disbelief.

"Dude, you know like, everyone." He argued back. 

"Yeah, but I'm not really friends with any of them, you know?"I explained. Just as he opened his mouth, the teacher spoke up. I guess the bell had rung. I hadn't even heard it.

"Okay, you guys. Before we get started, I'm going to tell you now that you don't get to pick your partners for this project. It's-" She was interrupted by a bunch of sighs and groans. She raised her voice to speak over the complaining students. "It's too important of a project. I don't want any of you pairing up with someone you're just going to mess around with." I could understand that. It still sucked I would be put with some random student though.

"What if we promise we'll get it done?" A student said from in front of me. She shook her head.

"Nope. Sorry guys, but not this time." She began naming off students and their pairs and I looked back at my friend. He shrugged and looked back to the teacher, waiting for his name to be called. Eventually he was put with a girl, who was actually rather pretty. He wouldn't have such a rough time, I was sure.

Eventually the teacher had gotten down to the last few kids, and hadn't called my name just yet. I didn't look behind me to see who was left, but I didn't particularly care. I just wanted to get the project done.

"Shirou and Kizumi." Her voice sort of disappeared for a second. What had she said? Shirou and who? I turned around very slowly, almost as if I was afraid to face him. Sure enough, I hadn't heard her wrong. Kizumi, the one person I hoped to avoid was giving me a nasty glare, and was now my partner every day for the next few weeks. I turned back around and tried to shake off my horrid luck and just get over it. I let a small sigh out and inhaled again, clearing my mind. I couldn't let it bother me, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do this project.

She explained the project, which was pretty simple. She would give us an essay and a picture, then we'd have to find key things in them. Things like imagery, symbolism, and such. I was sure though, that I probably wouldn't be getting any help from Kizumi.

The teacher told us to get with our pairs so that we could view the papers she would be handing out. I clenched my fists as I stood, then cautiously headed over to where Kizumi sat. I glanced at my friend, who had a look of pity spread across his face. I forced a sigh back as I sat in the desk next to him. I really didn't want to look at his expression, so I just faced forward and waited for the papers. neither of us said a word.