16

I lay sprawled out in the grass, talking with my friends about useless nonsense and joking around with them. We laughed and enjoyed each other's company as always. I was glad I had the friends I did. It wasn't often we argued or fought about anything, which was nice. I wondered if Kizumi had anyone like that. It seemed like the people around him were only to benefit him...not to be his friends. Wasn't that his fault though? He was always tossing people aside as if they meant nothing, so It wouldn't exactly be surprising if he was friendless...

I turned my head to the left, where I spotted Kizumi walking down the sidewalk across the way. I thought about calling out to him, and before I could stop myself, I sat up and yelled,

"Kizumi!"

For a moment, I felt as if it was nothing different than calling out to one of my friends. Then I realized what I had just done. My friends were staring at me, obviously a bit shocked, and probably afraid he would walk over here. I looked at where Kizumi had stopped on the sidewalk and was trying to find where his name had been called from. I couldn't just ignore him now that I had blurted his name. He looked around, and I waiting for his eyes to fall on me.

When they finally did, he stared at me. I gave a small wave to let him know it was me who had called his name. He didn't wave back. Instead I was greeted with an annoyed glare and his back as he walked away. I sighed as I lay back down. Though I was relieved he didn't walk over here and threaten me or something, I was still annoyed by his usual cold shoulder.

"Why did you even bother?" One of my friends asked.

"You knew he wouldn't answer you, right?" Another said. I nodded in response to them.

"Yeah...I guess I expected it. I don't know." I stared up at the leaves in the tree we were under.

"I still find it kind of strange that he doesn't beat the crap out of you..." One of the guys said.

"Why's that?" I asked, sitting up and facing them.

"He's just so mean. Some people barely glance in his direction and he shoves their faces in their food...so, don't you think calling out to him directly is kind of dangerous?" He said.

"I don't know...I know he's not very kind, but maybe he's not always like that." I suggested. Before they could argue, I continued. "After all, I've been his partner in English for a while now, and he hasn't been as terrible as I thought he'd be."

"I still see him picking on other people all the time, though." One of the girls replied.

"I know." I responded. "I'm just saying that he might not always be like that. Like I said, he's not violent towards me."

"Which is kind of weird." Another guy said.

"He just doesn't have a reason to beat me up." I replied.

"He doesn't need one for anyone else!" They all nearly exclaimed.

"I really don't know, you guys. Kizumi is complicated." I laughed. They shook their heads as the subject began to drop.

"He's not complicated...he's just a jerk." One of the girls ended. I didn't reply as I laid back down in the grass.

I knew she was right. Kizumi was a jerk. He was selfish, rude, uncaring, cold...just plain awful when you thought about it. Sure he was smart, but he was not on good terms with anyone in the school. his 'friends' weren't very good people either. Kizumi was the only human being who could possibly possess that much hatred and impatience in the world. From an outside view, he wasn't a good person...

But why did it feel so wrong to think that?