5

I sat in my room, twirling my pencil in my hands as I stared at my math worksheet. I scrawled down another answer in the empty slot after checking my work again, then moved to the next one. I kept blanking out after each problem, though. I kept thinking about what I had said to the teacher about Kizumi. 

He might warm up to me eventually.

Although I doubted it, I still couldn't help but wonder if it was possible. Even just a little bit. I had always been curious to know if Kizumi had a different side to him at home or if there was a reason to the way he acted. Maybe he was treated badly at home? No...his parents were very wealthy people, and respectable. They weren't the kind of people to treat their kids like trash. Perhaps Kizumi had just been spoiled for far too long.

"Shirou?" My mother's voice broke my thoughts, and I turned my head in her direction.

"Yes?" I replied, still slightly distracted by my suddenly scattered thoughts.

"Are you alright? You'd usually be finished with your work by now...you seem a little distracted today." She could read me easily, being that she was my mom. I shook my head.

"No, I'm just sort of tired is all. I'll get this done." I leaned into my work and started scrawling down the answers, paying more attention this time. At some point, I finally finished, and just in time for dinner. My little brother, Max, came into my room to get me.

"Shirou, Mom says it's time to eat." He stepped inside a little bit and I stood up and smiled at him. 

"Alright. Let's go then." I closed my door behind me and watched him run down the hall into the kitchen. We all took our place around the table and began eating the meal my Mom had prepared for us. Our dinner was oven chicken and various vegetables, along with salad. 

"Was everyone's day good?" My Dad asked. My little brother nodded, shoving more corn in his mouth. My Mom reached over and touched his arm.

"Honey, you're going to choke if you eat that much at once. Slow down, okay?" I heard my Dad chuckle as he sipped his water. He turned to me and said,

"So? Anything interesting happen today?" He asked. I almost laughed, but held it down.

"Well, we got partnered up in english." I blurted. I didn't really want to talk about it, but it's what was on my mind.

"And? Did you get partnered with anyone you knew?" My Mom asked. I nodded, slowly though.

"Yeah...sort of." I replied. "I don't know if he likes me very much though." I added.

"Ah, well...You'll just have to wait and see what happens." My Mom said.

"Yeah. He might be nice to you soon. My friends weren't nice when I met them." My little brother spoke up. I laughed and nodded.

"Alright. I'll wait and see what happens then." And the topic ended. I was a bit relieved. I felt like talking about him would get me in trouble somehow. It was a good thing I didn't have to mention his name. The rest of dinner was normal. We talked about how everyone else's day went and where we'd try and go over the upcoming break. It wasn't for a while, but my parents liked to set goals. They always kept organized and planned things long before they happened so that they were prepared.

I liked that aspect of them. It made sure our life was stress free. Sometimes, though, things weren't always stress free for everyone. Things like what was happening to me. I kept worrying about tomorrow. Just because Kizumi hadn't picked on me today, didn't mean he wouldn't do it tomorrow. He would probably make me a target since I was forced to be his partner. I almost dreaded going to school tomorrow.