10

At lunch the next day, I was sitting at a table with my friends. Kizumi would be coming back today. I probably should have been a little worried, but I had been up late last night from thinking so much that I was too tired to feel much of anything. I glanced around as my friends chatted aimlessly. I hadn't seen Kizumi in the halls yet today. I usually didn't ever really pass by him, but once in a while I'd spot him turning the corner or heading into a classroom. Maybe he hadn't even come to school today.

"Shirou, you listening, man?" One of the guys tapped my shoulder, and I looked over at him.

"I'm sorry, what?" I replied, completely oblivious to their conversation that had just taken place. They laughed a little an then he said, "Are you worried about Kizumi?"

"Yeah. He's coming back today after all." A girl mentioned. 

"Yeah. I know. I'm not really worried..." I replied. Suddenly, I caught sight of him. Kizumi was walking across the lunch courtyard by himself, phone in hand. He looked up briefly, and when his eyes met mine, he looked away quickly and stared back down at his phone. I thought he was going to glare at me, or maybe even approach me, but he didn't. Maybe he hadn't even actually seen me. Either way, I'd be seeing him in English anyways.

When the bell rang, my friends and I parted ways and I headed to English. After I entered, my eyes immediately found Kizumi, who was speaking with the teacher at her desk. Almost as if he had sensed me, he glanced back at me. I acted as if I had hardly noticed him and headed to my seat and waited for class to start. Eventually his gaze left me, and I relaxed a tiny bit. Now that he was actually in the same room with me, I felt a little bit afraid.

Slowly, kids filled the classroom and the final bell rang, allowing the teacher to start speaking. She explained the project. We were to take a single worksheet, then agree on an answer to the questions, and explain why we chose it. I wasn't exactly sure if I wanted to jump right into working on a one-sheet project with Kizumi, but I didn't exactly have a choice. After all, I was the one who decided to stay partners with him. The teacher dismissed us to join each other and I hesitated. It'll be ok. I reassured myself.

Slowly, I rose from my seat and turned to head back to Kizumi. However, when I turned around I nearly smacked into someone. I backed up and realized it was him. He stared down at me with an irritated look on his face. At first, I couldn't open my mouth, so he sighed and sat down in the chair next my desk. I sat back down in my desk and glanced at him. Question was obvious on my face, though I hadn't meant it to be. Still, he replied to my look with,

"You were taking too long." He twirled his pencil in his hand as we waited for the teacher to hand out the worksheet. She came by and placed the worksheet on my desk. I was glad for that, because now I had a reason to say something to him...unless he just took it from me.

"Ok...so we have to-" Just as quickly as I had begun, I was cut off.

"I know what the assignment is. Just read the questions." Kizumi demanded. I looked down at the paper and read the first one. Kizumi gave me an answer right away and I stared at him completely blank faced. 

"Alright..." I said as I wrote down what he had said.

"Alright?" He questioned. "Alright what? Do you not agree?" He asked. It wasn't that...it was just that everything he said was almost word for word what I was thinking in my head. it was like on our last project we did together...his thoughts were just disturbingly close to mine.

"I agree with you." I said as I continued to write. He turned to face me a little more.

"Then why did you give me a weird look?" He said. I looked up at him and shook my head as I spoke.

"I didn't give you a weird look...I just..." I trailed off, but Kizumi was persistent.

"You just what?" His voice took on an irritated tone.

"I just thought it was strange how close your sentence came to matching mine...almost exactly."I muttered. I read the next question out loud for Kizumi and before he opened his mouth, I stopped him.

"Wait...do you mind if I answer? And then tell me how close I get to matching your thoughts." I wanted to see if it was me who was just imagining the whole thing. I explained my answer exactly how I would write it on the paper, and when I finished, Kizumi didn't say anything. I waited for a response, but there was silence. After a moment, he startled me by speaking.

"Aren't you going to write it down?" He raised his eyebrows. i nodded and started to write. I thought he was going to ignore the fact I had asked him to tell me what he thought, but then he said, "Your sentence was close to mine...very close."