23

I looked in the driveway from where I was standing on the steps. I didn't see any cars, but they could have been in the garage. I had been standing here for about a minute. I pressed the door bell one more time before I decided to give up and turn around. As soon as I did, a voice sounded on the other side.

"Shut up, I'm coming!" Then the door swung open. In front of me, stood Kizumi.

"Sh-Shirou?" He stuttered. His face quickly switched from irritation to shock. I smiled at him, and he scowled as pink instantly blossomed across his cheeks. The air instantaneously grew thick with a tense feeling. It was almost suffocating in a way.

"Hi." I said. Before I could continue, he spoke.

"What do you want?" He said. His voice seemed a bit weaker than usual. There was a short pause between us as I found myself processing what he said. What do you want? Is that it? "Well?"

"Oh...I uh...here." I outstretched my hand with the blue folder in it towards him. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't remember anything that I wanted to say to him. 

"...what is it?" He mumbled nervously as he tore his eyes away from mine to open it.

"It's homework from the week." I said. He sighed and closed it again, then looked back at me. It was only momentary, though, because he looked away again, blushing still. An awkward silence grew between us and sliced the air around me, nagging at me to say something. I didn't want to say anything about what happened to him...what if he got angry? I stared at him for a moment longer when he started to turn around.

"...Well...do you want to come in...for water or...something?" He stuttered, glancing back at me. Surprised at his offer, I didn't respond at first. Afraid of having the door shut in my face, I finally nodded.

"Sure." I accepted and hopped up the stairs. After entering his house, I looked around. To the right when I walked in, was the living room. It was carefully decorated with nice furniture, and colors that complimented each other. The house was clean too. It was pretty obvious that Kizumi lived better off than me as well. 

I watched him as he tossed the homework folder onto the counter and disappeared around a corner for a moment to get water. He brought back two bottles, and handed one to me.

"Thank you." I said as I cracked the top open and took a drink of the nice, cold water. Kizumi didn't open his, but just held it in his hand. It became quiet again and I looked around me. Kizumi was looking at me, though. I finally met his eyes and he spoke.

"Is that it?" He asked me. I wasn't sure how to respond though...that's almost what I wanted to say to him. I expected him to do something more, but I wasn't receiving much of anything.

"I guess so...why?" I asked. He shrugged and looked down at his water.

"I don't know...I just..." His voice trailed off and I cocked an eyebrow. His blush deepened and spread to the tops of his ears.

"What?" I said. Why? Why was he blushing now?

"Kizumi, why are you blushing?" I blurted. As I expected, he looked up and glared at me. Even though it was obvious that he was, he still managed to pull that glare of his together and deny it.

"I'm not." His tone sounded extremely defensive, and he was looking at the floor in attempt to avoid my eyes.

"I can see it." I replied right away with disbelief swirling in my voice. I watched his face darken another shade as he scowled.

"I said I'm not b-blushing." He stammered the end of his sentence nervously, but his tone was becoming irritated. I stared at him and he grew more uncomfortable every second. The silence became deafening, and his hands clenched at his sides as he stared back at me. I didn't know what else to say, and I didn't want to make him angry, so I started to turn towards the door a bit.

"Okay...well, thank you for the water." I said and smiled at him one more time. His eyes widened a little, but he stayed where he was. "...I guess I'll see you later, then." I finished and turned for the door. As I reached for the handle, I felt him grab my wrist. Just as I began to turn my head, I was suddenly pulled backwards, and my lips were pressed against Kizumi's all in one swift motion.