Stop reading my freaking mind!

Chapter 29

Jesse’s P.O.V

I wake up the next morning feeling cold and empty. When I open my eyes, I realize why; Red isn’t there.

I sit up abruptly and look around my room. There’s no sign of her. My mind begins to panic but then I calm down. She’s probably down stairs or something like that. I don’t have to freak out about it.

I fall back down on my pillow and begin to think about last night, the best night of my life. It was different with Red, everything was better. When she screamed my name it was like all the other girls were nothing. But that was expected, Red is my mate and her mark proves it.

I look at my alarm clock. 8:00 am. Crap, Red’s gonna kill me if we’re late. I hastily get up and grab a shirt from the floor. I sniff it and shrug. Yeah, smells fine. I grab some boxers and a pair of jeans and brush my teeth and whatever else.

I run downstairs quickly only to notice something’s missing.

Red.

“Mom, have you seen Re—I mean Tyra at all this morning?” I call out to my mom from the kitchen.

“Sorry hun, no. I thought she was with you.”

Okay, this isn’t good. My mind begins to panic again but I shut it up. I tell myself to check if her bike's there, maybe she went to school early or even went to a friend’s house. I don’t know, girls like to gossip.

I walk outside and sure enough, her bike’s missing. I let out a sigh of relief. See, there was nothing to worry about.

All of a sudden I am hit with a thought, well more like a memory, which isn’t mine because I don’t recognise it.

I can see Arthur Stone’s wolf and over top of him I can see what looks like Matt’s dad’s wolf. Whoever the memory belongs to, they run to try and help but is soon tackled by what seems like four grey wolves, and then it hits me; this is Red’s memory.

It’s odd really, because I can even feel her struggling from under them and how much it pains her to even move but I can sense her desperation in trying to escape. I can see Arthur trying to smile at her, but he’s in too much pain, and I can see Matt’s dad’s crazed eyes. I see when he kills our Alpha and that's when Stone and I run in.

‘Who the hell is this?’ The thought hits me like a pile of bricks and that’s when I realise I’m just standing there, in front of the driver side door of my Jeep. I get in quickly and start the engine.

‘Uh, Parker. Red, is that you?’

‘What the—Parker? How the hell are you in my head? I’m not wolf!’ It feels like the sentence is not yet finished but I let it slide, I can always ask her later.

‘If you don’t remember, I’ll be offended. We finished the mating process remember? This is kind of like the next level.’ I explain to her. And people think I’m an idiot.

‘What? Since when?’ What is this, a stupid question?

‘Since yesterday Red. Like obviously since forever! And anyway, where are you? You weren’t there when I woke up.’

A wave of sadness hits me so hard that I almost lose control over my Jeep. Luckily, no one else is on the street and I easily get back into my lane.

‘Oh, it’s nothing. Missy has a letter she’ll give you, it’ll explain and please Parker, promise me you won’t freak out?’ I don’t get the chance to answer because she cuts off our communication.